Re: How do I have all folds expanded by default when file opens?

  • Andrew Long
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 3, 2009
      On 3 Aug 2009, at 19:19, riickcr wrote:

      > I'm sure this is simple, but my searching the help files
      > Currently xml files are opening with all folds closed. I then hit 'zi'
      > which expands all folds. I'm searching around trying to figure out how
      > I can have my xml files by default open with everything expanded?
      >
      > In my .vimrc I have this set:
      >
      > let g:xml_syntax_folding=1
      >
      > but I'm not sure how that's related as changing the number doesn't
      > seem to have much affect, other than that line seems to need to be
      > there to allow folding for my xml files?

      The option 'foldlevel' sets the initial number of folds to be open when
      the file is opened. I set this in my .vimrc as a global for all file
      types, but you an set it on a file-by-file basis in the file type
      initialisation routines.

      see :he 'foldlevel' (note the apostrophes denote help for an option)

      Regards, Andy
      --
      Andrew Long
      andrew dot long at mac dot com

    • Ben Fritz
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 4, 2009
        On Aug 3, 5:12 pm, Andrew Long <andrew.l...@...> wrote:
        > The option 'foldlevel' sets the initial number of folds to be open when
        > the file is opened. I set this in my .vimrc as a global for all file
        > types, but you an set it on a file-by-file basis in the file type
        > initialisation routines.
        >
        > see :he 'foldlevel' (note the apostrophes denote help for an option)

        Actually, the option 'foldlevel' sets the number of open folds in the
        current window, and the global value is used to initialize the value
        for new windows. But, if you load a NEW file in the SAME window, the
        old foldlevel (even if it has been modified) is used.

        The better option to use is 'foldlevelstart' but even that has a few
        minor disadvantages, since you can't use zm/zr right away on buffers
        with folding much less than the 'foldlevelstart' value.

        See http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/All_folds_open_when_open_a_file for a
        discussion and alternatives.
      • Rick
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 4, 2009
          On Tue, Aug 4, 2009 at 10:53 AM, Ben Fritz <fritzophrenic@...> wrote:

          See http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/All_folds_open_when_open_a_file for a
          discussion and alternatives.

          Excellent thanks. I was going crazy trying to get it to work as expected with 'foldlevel' and having trouble.

          --
          Rick R