control up/down/left/right doing weird things

  • Robert Mark Bram
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 3, 2009
      Hi All,

      WinXP + Cygwin + PuttyCyg (keyboard: linux) + vim

      I have NO mappings in my .vimrc for C-UP, C-DOWN, C-LEFT or C-RIGHT..
      yet:

      C-UP puts "A" on a new line
      C-DOWN puts "B" on a new line
      C-RIGHT puts "C" on a new line
      C-LEFT puts "D" on a new line

      Always the same letters.. always on a line by themselves.

      Any guesses as to what this might be?

      Rob
      :)
    • John Beckett
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 3, 2009
        Robert Mark Bram wrote:
        > WinXP + Cygwin + PuttyCyg (keyboard: linux) + vim
        >
        > I have NO mappings in my .vimrc for C-UP, C-DOWN, C-LEFT or
        > C-RIGHT.. yet:
        >
        > C-UP puts "A" on a new line
        > C-DOWN puts "B" on a new line
        > C-RIGHT puts "C" on a new line
        > C-LEFT puts "D" on a new line

        Your system is sending escape sequences that Vim is not
        configured to interpret. See if any of the following info
        is relevant:

        http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Fix_arrow_keys_that_display_A_B_C_D_on_remote_shell
        http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/PuTTY_numeric_keypad_mappings

        John

      • Robert Mark Bram
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 3, 2009
          > I have NO mappings in my .vimrc for C-UP, C-DOWN, C-LEFT or C-RIGHT..
          > yet:
          >
          > C-UP puts "A" on a new line
          > C-DOWN puts "B" on a new line
          > C-RIGHT puts "C" on a new line
          > C-LEFT puts "D" on a new line

          OK, don't ask me why it works, but based on a previous post on the
          same issue, I tried some experimentation and solved it.

          Based on an earlier post on a similar issue, here is some more
          information related to this.

          In insert mode, I press control-V, control-left/right/up/down. The
          result:

          control left: ^[OD
          control right: ^[[C
          control up: ^[[A
          control down: ^[[B

          I already has this in my .bash_profile:
          stty -ixon

          So then I tried putting this in my .vimrc:
          set <c-left>=^[OD
          set <c-right>=^[OC

          After that, control+left and right works now!

          But this caused an error:
          set <c-up>=^[OA
          set <c-down>=^[OB

          So.. I got what I wanted.. now to fix ALT keys..

          Rob
          :)
        • Robert Mark Bram
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 3, 2009
            > So then I tried putting this in my .vimrc:
            > set <c-left>=^[OD
            > set <c-right>=^[OC

            where you get the "^[" by typing CTRL-V
          • Robert Mark Bram
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 3, 2009
              Thanks John!

              > > I have NO mappings in my .vimrc for C-UP, C-DOWN, C-LEFT or
              > > C-RIGHT.. yet:
              >
              > > C-UP  puts "A" on a new line
              > > C-DOWN   puts "B" on a new line
              > > C-RIGHT   puts "C" on a new line
              > > C-LEFT   puts "D" on a new line
              >
              > Your system is sending escape sequences that Vim is not
              > configured to interpret. See if any of the following info
              > is relevant:
              >
              > http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Fix_arrow_keys_that_display_A_B_C_D_on_remo...http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/PuTTY_numeric_keypad_mappings

              I will read these pages anyway since I have a feeling these are
              related to ALT key mappings too.

              Rob
              :)