Re: Copy wxhen deleting text

  • Raúl Núñez de Arenas Coronado
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 2, 2009
      Saluton Raphael :)

      Raphael Jolivet <r...@...> dixit:
      > This is anoying when you have copied some text and wwant to paste it
      > at several places, while delteing other text : You clipboard get
      > spammed with the content of what you delete !
      >
      > Do you know if it is possible to disable this behavior ?

      IMHO, you shouldn't disable this behaviour, you should learn to use it
      in your favor.

      Whenever you delete text, it is put by default in the unnamed register
      and the numbered registers. There is no such thing as an unique
      clipboard in Vim, you have registers (":help registers"). If you want to
      copy some text and be able to paste it later while deleting some lines
      in between, doesn't just yank it to the unnamed register and the
      numbered registers (using "yy" for example), but yank it to some
      register you can use afterwards. Use the named registers.

      For example, if you want to save a line of text to paste it later, use
      "ayy to put that line in the "a" register. You have to type the double
      quote, letter "a", letter "y" and letter "y". After that you can delete
      lines ("dd" command) and they will be put into the unnamed and numbered
      registers, not clobbering your "clipboard" (which is the "a" register
      now). To paste the lines you saved to your "clipboard", use the "ap
      command, that is, double quote, letter "a", letter "p".

      See the help for registers to understand how this works and you will
      discover that you no longer want to disable this feature, but to use to
      your gain ;)

    • bill lam
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 2, 2009
        On Sun, 02 Aug 2009, Raphael Jolivet wrote:
        > This is anoying when you have copied some text and wwant to paste it
        > at several places, while delteing other text : You clipboard get
        > spammed with the content of what you delete !

        you can use "0P or "0p to paste from the real yanked text but not the
        deleted text. It is quite inconvenient to type. One shift key and one
        off home position key in addition to p/P. So I use the following
        mapping for paste from yank.

        nmap <F8> "0P
        nmap <C-F8> "0p

        ymmv

        --
        regards,
        GPG key 1024D/4434BAB3 2008-08-24

      • David Fishburn
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 2, 2009
          > I am a big fan of VIM, I use it all the time.
          > There is just one thing that I found anoying :
          > Vim copy text in the clipboard whenever I delete something.
          >
          > This is annoying when you have copied some text and want to paste it
          > at several places, while deleting other text : You clipboard get
          > spammed with the content of what you delete !

          For other conveniences as well you may be interested in my plugin:

          YankRing.vim : Maintains a history of previous yanks and deletes

          HTH,
          Dave

          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 14, 2009
            On 02/08/09 16:01, Raphael Jolivet wrote:

            > Hi,
            >
            > I am a big fan of VIM, I use it all the time.
            > There is just one thing that I found anoying :
            > Vim copy text in the clipboard whenever I dlete something.
            >
            > This is anoying when you have copied some text and wwant to paste it
            > at several places, while delteing other text : You clipboard get
            > spammed with the content of what you delete !
            >
            > Do you know if it is possible to disable this behavior ?
            >
            > TH

            Sure, see:
            :help 'clipboard'
            :help 'guioptions'

            Personally I use
            :set cb=html,exclude=cons\\\|linux go=gimrLTtc
            YMMV.

            Cinemuck, n.:
            The combination of popcorn, soda, and melted chocolate which
            covers the floors of movie theaters.
            -- Rich Hall, "Sniglets"

          • KKde
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 14, 2009

              > Personally I use
              >         :set cb=html,exclude=cons\\\|linux go=gimrLTtc
              > YMMV.

              In help 'clipboard' , I see the html name isnot under recognized names
              for this option. Can you please explain what your setting does??

              Sharat

              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 15, 2009
                On 15/08/09 08:45, KKde wrote:

                >> Personally I use
                >> :set cb=html,exclude=cons\\\|linux go=gimrLTtc
                >> YMMV.
                >>

                > In help 'clipboard' , I see the html name isnot under recognized names
                > for this option. Can you please explain what your setting does??
                >
                > Sharat

                This setting answers the OP's question mostly by what it does _not_
                include (_not_ unnamed and _not_ autoselect). Please go back and read
                ":help 'clipboard'".