Re: highlighting text between marks

  • Stahlman Family
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 2, 2009
      googler wrote:
      ...snip...

      > BTW, does any plugin exist where I can select a part of text in visual
      > mode (say using the mouse) and pressing some specific key will
      > highlight this text?

      You might have a look at the Txtfmt plugin:

      http://www.freewebs.com/txtfmt

      It's a token-based highlighter, which allows you to highlight ranges of
      text with (configurable) colors and format attributes (e.g., bold,
      italic, underline, etc...). Version 2.0 (coming soon) supports
      background colors as well. There is a rich set of mappings for working
      with (e.g., inserting, jumping to, etc...) the tokens that begin and end
      regions. These tokens are hidden as whitespace. Version 2.0 also
      supports Vince Negri's 'conceal' patch, which permits the tokens to be
      hidden completely (i.e., made to occupy zero-width).

      Visual mode maps have not yet been implemented, but are in the todo list...

      Brett Stahlman

      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 14, 2009
        On 01/08/09 22:09, googler wrote:

        > On Aug 1, 6:46 am, Teemu Likonen<tliko...@...> wrote:
        >> On 2009-08-01 00:25 (-0700), googler wrote:
        >>
        >>> I have two marks, say a and b. I want to highlight the text between
        >>> (and including) a and b. I tried to use the match command like this
        >>> :'a,'b match MyGrp /.*/
        >>
        >> Try this first:
        >>
        >> :help /\%'m
        >>
        >> For example:
        >>
        >> :match ErrorMsg /\%'a\_.*\%'b/
        >
        > Hi, thanks for the reply. It did answer my question, but on second
        > thoughts, I would actually like to use the line number and column
        > number corresponding to each mark inside the ':match' command. So my
        > question is, given a mark (say `a, '<, etc), is it possible to get its
        > line number and column number? I have to do this because the marks I
        > use to define a match earlier might get redefined, in which case those
        > highlights will be gone.

        See:
        :help line()
        :help col()
        :help virtcol()

        However, be aware that those functions give the position at the time
        they are invoked. If you add or remove text before where the mark used
        to be, the line & column numbers will become inexact. OTOH, as long as
        you don't use the same mark for something else, it will "move" with its
        text and remain correct even if you do some edit before the mark's position.

        "I'm fed up to the ears with old men dreaming up wars for young men to
        die in."
        -- George McGovern