:w causes 0kb random numbered file creation

  • Paul Foster
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 1, 2009
      I'm using gvim 7.2 on Windows XP and Windows 7 RC1 to edit files on a mapped drive (samba share).

      Whenever I save a file with :w a new randomly numbered file (4-5 chars) is created in the current directory.  So after a good editing session I can have hundreds of these empty numbered files littered throughout my directory structure - which is a real pain.

      It only occurs on mapped drives, not local disks.

      Anyone have any idea?

      Cheers,
      Paul

    • R. Hicks
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 3, 2009
        On 8/1/09 9:32 AM, Paul Foster wrote:
        > I'm using gvim 7.2 on Windows XP and Windows 7 RC1 to edit files on a
        > mapped drive (samba share).
        >
        > Whenever I save a file with :w a new randomly numbered file (4-5 chars)
        > is created in the current directory. So after a good editing session I
        > can have hundreds of these empty numbered files littered throughout my
        > directory structure - which is a real pain.
        >
        > It only occurs on mapped drives, not local disks.
        >
        > Anyone have any idea?

        Does

        :messages

        give you anything useful?

      • Paul Foster
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 5, 2009
          Nothing of use, no.

          On Mon, Aug 3, 2009 at 10:12 PM, R. Hicks <sigzero@...> wrote:

          On 8/1/09 9:32 AM, Paul Foster wrote:
          > I'm using gvim 7.2 on Windows XP and Windows 7 RC1 to edit files on a
          > mapped drive (samba share).
          >
          > Whenever I save a file with :w a new randomly numbered file (4-5 chars)
          > is created in the current directory.  So after a good editing session I
          > can have hundreds of these empty numbered files littered throughout my
          > directory structure - which is a real pain.
          >
          > It only occurs on mapped drives, not local disks.
          >
          > Anyone have any idea?

          Does

          :messages

          give you anything useful?