Re: vim patchs - why not a big-patch?

  • Markus Heidelberg
    Message 1 of 20 , Aug 1, 2009
      Ryan J M, 19.07.2009:
      > There might be two reasons that I thought git repo is inconvenience
      > 1) not all vimmers have git installed on their boxes.
      > 2) comparing to gzip-ed or bzip-ed files, it might take more time to
      > download via git.

      These reasons have nothing to do with inconvenience.

      Markus

    • Markus Heidelberg
      Message 2 of 20 , Aug 1, 2009
        Matt Wozniski, 20.07.2009:

        > On Sun, Jul 19, 2009 at 9:22 PM, pansz wrote:
        > >
        > > Tony Mechelynck 写道:
        > >>
        > >> This question, like all questions about compiling Vim, belongs on the
        > >> vim_dev list where I'm trying to redirect it.
        > >>

        > > Do you really think so? I don't.
        >
        > *shrug*, I once tried to move a question on compiling from vim-dev to
        > vim-use and was admonished by Bram for it. So, at the very least,
        > Bram sides with Tony, even if you and I may find it unintuitive. :-)

        Regardless of where compile questions belong to (and I think it's
        absolutely OK in vim-use), moving them to vim-dev will not work.
        Since the vim lists a subscriber-only and you don't know it the person
        is subscibed to both, you force him to subscribe to it to continue
        discussing his questions. But it's more probably that the questions will
        be forked and discussed in two ways on the two mailing lists.

        Markus

      • Marc Weber
        Message 3 of 20 , Aug 13, 2009
          Excerpts from Markus Heidelberg's message of Sat Aug 01 19:07:29 +0200 2009:
          > I've never used topgit or another tool on top of git.
          > What's the benefit? Why not just ordinary git branches? This would also
          > add another dependency for users, wouldn't it?
          top-git branches are "ordinary" branches with additional info attached
          such as .top-msg (info about this branch) and .top-deps (information on
          which branches this branch is based)

          The benefits are:
          * top-git let's you track hierarchies of branches. You can use dotty to
          visualize dependencies
          * top-git let's you export patch series easily
          * top-git let's you merge your branch and its dependencies with upstream
          easily by invoking "tg update".

          Of course this all can be done manually as well. In the end it doesn't
          matter. Having all in one git repo would be a huge step IMHO.

          Marc Weber