Disabling tag security.

  • Scott Keronkowitz
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 27, 2009
      Hello, all.

      Relating to a casual personal pet project, I've recently begun scripting
      a plug-in for Vim. It's all very ad-hoc and likely not of the soundest
      design possible, but basically it was intended to become a Perl script
      to be used as a UI to a sort of home-grown text discussion board. It
      would receive messages in XML format from a server process, format it
      into a page of well-presented text and write the page to a named pipe
      which it then induces Vim to read into a buffer and display to the user.

      A critical point of the design was that I was hoping I could (ab)use
      Vim's support for tags by weaving in tags invoking ex commands for IPC
      to either :sav to or shell out and write to another FIFO in the other
      direction back to the script to yield a full interactive UI that could
      be controlled from within the comfort of Vim.

      Sadly, though not altogether surprising, tags doing whatever they please
      is an obvious security violation for the general case of editing text
      files with third-party tags from random sources. That really doesn't
      apply so much for what I'm doing though, and I'm disappointed I can't
      seem to find any optional way around this. The manual states that unlike
      some other cases the 'secure' option is enabled automatically for all
      tag search ex commands. My hope was that I could find I way to have this
      purposely disabled for the purpose of what I'm trying to do. I
      understand this is an edge case, but is there no way to opt out of this
      feature?

      Thanks in advance for any thoughts.