Re: Using Marks in Commands?

  • Edward Beach
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 1, 2009
      On Jun 30, 4:56 pm, Ben Fritz <fritzophre...@...> wrote:
      > On Jun 29, 10:51 am, Edward Beach <beach9...@...> wrote:
      >
      > > I can convert the normal mappings into commands,
      > > i.e. com! -bar -nargs=0 MoveLineDownInNormalMode  normal mz:m+<CR>'z==
      > > but how can I convert insert and visual mappings into similar command
      > > formats?
      >
      > What exactly are you trying to do? Can you actually envision a use-
      > case for this?
      >
      > To enter an Ex command while in insert mode, you need to leave insert
      > mode (possibly temporarily). There isn't really a way to create an Ex
      > command to execute from insert mode.
      >
      > Pressing ':' in visual mode also ends visual mode. The only difference
      > between : in visual mode and : in normal mode is that the visual
      > selection is automatically inserted as the range for your command on
      > the command line. Therefore there isn't really a special way to create
      > a "visual mode" Ex command either.

      The goal was to replace complicated keystrokes with commands so that I
      could simplify my mappings (i.e keyboard, menu, etc).

      The above was just an example I pulled from the wiki hoping that
      people would be familiar with it but regardless I think I've figured
      out a way to do it by adding the range option to the command syntax
      and specifying the range in the ex line:
      com! -bar -range -nargs=0 MoveLinesDownInVisualMode normal :'<,'>m'>
      +<CR>gv=`<my`>mzgv`yo`z