Re: shortcut for "edit-->paste" in escape mode in gvim

    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 1, 2009
      On 27/05/09 06:17, Mahurshi Akilla wrote:

      > Under my current linux xterm settings, in vim, shit+insert generally
      > helps paste things from the clipboard, whether i am in escape mode or
      > insert mode.
      >
      > However, pressing shift+insert only pastes "<S-Insert>" in gvim. Is
      > there a way to change this behavior and have it actually print the
      > contents of the clipboard?

      The clipboard (the one which you access with Edit => Cut, Edit => Copy
      or Edit => Paste) is known in Vim as the "plus" register (not to be
      confused with the "star" register, which is the same under MS-Windows
      but not under X11).

      Any register can be accessed in a number of ways, and not only through
      the menus; if you don't specify a register, you get the "default" or
      "unnamed" register, which is actually named register "double-quote".

      In Normal mode:

      "+P
      put the clipboard before the cursor

      "+p
      put the cursor after the cursor

      "+yy
      yank [count] lines (default: the current line) into the clipboard

      "+y{motion}
      "+y{object}
      {Visual}"+y
      yank the text moved over, or the text object, or the Visual selection,
      into the clipboard

      "+dd
      "+d{motion}
      "+d{object}
      {Visual}"+d
      the same, but delete instead of yanking

      :[range]put +
      put the clipboard after the [range] (default: current line). Use 0
      (zero) as the range to put before the first line, or $ (dollar) for
      after the last line.

      :[range]yank +
      yank the [range] (default: current line) into the clipboard

      :[range]delete +
      delete into the clipboard

      The ex-commands :put, :yank and :delete can be abbreviated to :pu :y or
      :d respectively, or to anything in-between (but :p is :print, not :put).

      :let @+ = <expression>
      :let <variable> = @+
      You can also use @+ in expressions and ":let" statements, just like any
      String variable. It means the clipboard.

      :redir @+
      " (do something)
      :redir END
      capture in the clipboard whatever the "do something" command(s) will
      display at the bottom of the screen. For instance, by using :version as
      the "do something" command, capture the details of your present Vim
      version for pasting into an email (such as a bug report).

      All this was for Normal mode. Now, in Insert (or Command-line) mode, you
      can insert the contents of the clipboard at the cursor by hitting Ctrl-R
      followed by +

      All these work for other registers too, for instance the registers a to
      z (using a letter instead of +) which are only used when you explicitly
      tell Vim to use them.

      Of course, unlike other registers, the clipboard is only available if
      you are using a Vim version compiled with +clipboard, either in GUI mode
      or in a terminal which has access to the clipboard (such as an xterm or
      the Windows console, but not the text-only Linux console accessed by
      Ctrl-Alt-F1 to Ctrl-Alt-F6 [Go back to X with Ctrl-Alt-F7]).

      See
      :help copy-move

      Slang is language that takes off its coat, spits on its hands, and goes
      to work.