Gvim fails to detach from cygwin bash shell

  • bgold12
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 1, 2009
      I've usually used cmd.exe (command prompt) as my shell on Windows, but
      I've recently begun using the cygwin bash shell. With cmd.exe, running
      gvim from the command line caused gvim to start up and be completely
      detached from the cmd shell, meaning I could continue using the cmd
      shell while the gvim process was running and even close the cmd shell
      without affecting the gvim process. But now with cygwin bash, whenever
      I run gvim from the command line, it doesn't detach; it holds up the
      shell until it exits at which point the shell returns. I know if I use
      an ampersand on the end of the command then the gvim process will run
      in the background and I'll be able to use the bash shell, but I still
      won't be able to close the bash shell until the gvim process exits,
      which I don't like. Why is this, and how can I fix this problem?
      Thanks.
    • Chris Sutcliffe
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 1, 2009
        > I've usually used cmd.exe (command prompt) as my shell on Windows, but
        > I've recently begun using the cygwin bash shell. With cmd.exe, running
        > gvim from the command line caused gvim to start up and be completely
        > detached from the cmd shell, meaning I could continue using the cmd
        > shell while the gvim process was running and even close the cmd shell
        > without affecting the gvim process. But now with cygwin bash, whenever
        > I run gvim from the command line, it doesn't detach; it holds up the
        > shell until it exits at which point the shell returns. I know if I use
        > an ampersand on the end of the command then the gvim process will run
        > in the background and I'll be able to use the bash shell, but I still
        > won't be able to close the bash shell until the gvim process exits,
        > which I don't like. Why is this, and how can I fix this problem?

        man cygstart

        specifically, 'cygstart gvim'

        Chris

        --