Re: Reuse search pattern?

    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 1, 2009
      On 27/05/09 17:21, Gene Kwiecinski wrote:

      >> When I substitute using ":s/{pattern}/{string}/{option}", I prefer
      >> to use "/{pattern}" to check out...
      >
      > You already got answer by now, but in general, if you just need to
      > modify the pattern if it be *un*satisfactory, just type '/' and then
      > scroll through the earlier search patterns with the up/down arrow keys,
      > and once you find it or something similar, you can edit it to suit
      > (add/delete/change), then rerun the search.

      Another possibility, to reuse a search pattern which wasn't the last one
      without bumping all the way around the file even if 'imsearch' is set,
      is the command-line window: hitting q/ or q? will open a window with all
      recent seach patterns (latest at bottom). Place the cursor on one of
      them, edit it or not, then hit Enter, to search for that pattern
      (executing the search command under the cursor); or hit :q (or :x etc.)
      to leave the command-line window if you change your mind. (You cannot
      leave that window without closing it.) Similarly with q: for ex-command
      history instead of search history.

      Experience is that marvelous thing that enables you recognize a mistake
      when you make it again.
      -- F. P. Jones