RE: Wildcard not available in sfind path?

  • John Beckett
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 1, 2009
      wilson.m.liu@...
      > I am not clear about what ":set path?" mean.

      That's a command you type in Vim (starting with the colon).

      It will display the value of the 'path' option. See:

      :help 'path'
      :help :set
      :help :find

      John

      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 4, 2009
        On 01/06/09 09:12, wilson.m.liu@... wrote:

        > Hi,
        > When I set a path by ":set path=..." and use "sfind" to edit one file in
        > the directory, wildcard in the file name seems
        > not working. That is to say, when I type ":sf Sample.txt" for example,
        > it opens the file successfully. However, when I
        > type ":sf Sam*.*"(This pattern uniquely refers to one file), it
        > amazingly shows an error displaying no match. I am puzzled
        > whether we can use wildcard in sf path.
        > I am using Vim 7.2 on Windows XP.
        >
        > Thanks,
        > Wilson

        In case you haven't yet got your answer (which is unclear according to
        the present state of this mail thread), I think that on Windows, Vim
        does its own globbing (unlike on Unix where wildcards other than ** are
        expanded by the shell). This means that wildcard expansion by Vim on
        Windows is done according to Vim rules, which are perhaps more unixy
        than what is customary on Windows. For instance, on Unix *.* doesn't
        mean "anything at all" (as it does on Dos/Windows), it means "anything
        with at least one actual dot in it". To get "anything at all", the Unix
        wildcard is just *

        VIRGO (Aug 23 - Sept 22)
        Learn something new today, like how to spell or how to count to
        ten without using your fingers. Be careful dressing this
        morning. You may be hit by a car later in the day and you
        wouldn't want to be taken to the doctor's office in some of
        that old underwear you own.