RE: Wildcard not available in sfind path?

  • wilson.m.liu@convergys.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 1, 2009
      vim_use@... wrote on 06/01/2009 03:35:13 PM:

      > wilson.m.liu wrote:
      > > When I set a path by ":set path=..." and use "sfind"
      to edit
      > > one file in the directory, wildcard in the file name seems
      > > not working. That is to say, when I type ":sf Sample.txt"
      for
      > > example, it opens the file successfully. However, when I type
      > > ":sf Sam*.*"(This pattern uniquely refers to one file),
      it
      > > amazingly shows an error displaying no match. I am puzzled
      > > whether we can use wildcard in sf path.
      >
      > Yes you can use a wildcard in :find and :sfind, however, it
      > searches directories in the 'path' option, so the first step
      > would be (the second shows where set, if it has been):
      >
      >   :set path?
      >   :verbose set path?
      >
      > John

      Hi,

      I am not clear about what ":set path?" mean. Would you please make some explanation?

      Thanks,
      Wilson

    • John Beckett
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 1, 2009
        wilson.m.liu@...
        > I am not clear about what ":set path?" mean.

        That's a command you type in Vim (starting with the colon).

        It will display the value of the 'path' option. See:

        :help 'path'
        :help :set
        :help :find

        John

        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 4, 2009
          On 01/06/09 09:12, wilson.m.liu@... wrote:

          > Hi,
          > When I set a path by ":set path=..." and use "sfind" to edit one file in
          > the directory, wildcard in the file name seems
          > not working. That is to say, when I type ":sf Sample.txt" for example,
          > it opens the file successfully. However, when I
          > type ":sf Sam*.*"(This pattern uniquely refers to one file), it
          > amazingly shows an error displaying no match. I am puzzled
          > whether we can use wildcard in sf path.
          > I am using Vim 7.2 on Windows XP.
          >
          > Thanks,
          > Wilson

          In case you haven't yet got your answer (which is unclear according to
          the present state of this mail thread), I think that on Windows, Vim
          does its own globbing (unlike on Unix where wildcards other than ** are
          expanded by the shell). This means that wildcard expansion by Vim on
          Windows is done according to Vim rules, which are perhaps more unixy
          than what is customary on Windows. For instance, on Unix *.* doesn't
          mean "anything at all" (as it does on Dos/Windows), it means "anything
          with at least one actual dot in it". To get "anything at all", the Unix
          wildcard is just *

          VIRGO (Aug 23 - Sept 22)
          Learn something new today, like how to spell or how to count to
          ten without using your fingers. Be careful dressing this
          morning. You may be hit by a car later in the day and you
          wouldn't want to be taken to the doctor's office in some of
          that old underwear you own.