RE: Wildcard not available in sfind path?

  • John Beckett
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 1, 2009
      wilson.m.liu wrote:
      > When I set a path by ":set path=..." and use "sfind" to edit
      > one file in the directory, wildcard in the file name seems
      > not working. That is to say, when I type ":sf Sample.txt" for
      > example, it opens the file successfully. However, when I type
      > ":sf Sam*.*"(This pattern uniquely refers to one file), it
      > amazingly shows an error displaying no match. I am puzzled
      > whether we can use wildcard in sf path.

      Yes you can use a wildcard in :find and :sfind, however, it
      searches directories in the 'path' option, so the first step
      would be (the second shows where set, if it has been):

      :set path?
      :verbose set path?

      John

    • wilson.m.liu@convergys.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 1, 2009
        vim_use@... wrote on 06/01/2009 03:35:13 PM:

        > wilson.m.liu wrote:
        > > When I set a path by ":set path=..." and use "sfind"
        to edit
        > > one file in the directory, wildcard in the file name seems
        > > not working. That is to say, when I type ":sf Sample.txt"
        for
        > > example, it opens the file successfully. However, when I type
        > > ":sf Sam*.*"(This pattern uniquely refers to one file),
        it
        > > amazingly shows an error displaying no match. I am puzzled
        > > whether we can use wildcard in sf path.
        >
        > Yes you can use a wildcard in :find and :sfind, however, it
        > searches directories in the 'path' option, so the first step
        > would be (the second shows where set, if it has been):
        >
        >   :set path?
        >   :verbose set path?
        >
        > John

        Hi,

        I am not clear about what ":set path?" mean. Would you please make some explanation?

        Thanks,
        Wilson

      • John Beckett
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 1, 2009
          wilson.m.liu@...
          > I am not clear about what ":set path?" mean.

          That's a command you type in Vim (starting with the colon).

          It will display the value of the 'path' option. See:

          :help 'path'
          :help :set
          :help :find

          John

          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 4, 2009
            On 01/06/09 09:12, wilson.m.liu@... wrote:

            > Hi,
            > When I set a path by ":set path=..." and use "sfind" to edit one file in
            > the directory, wildcard in the file name seems
            > not working. That is to say, when I type ":sf Sample.txt" for example,
            > it opens the file successfully. However, when I
            > type ":sf Sam*.*"(This pattern uniquely refers to one file), it
            > amazingly shows an error displaying no match. I am puzzled
            > whether we can use wildcard in sf path.
            > I am using Vim 7.2 on Windows XP.
            >
            > Thanks,
            > Wilson

            In case you haven't yet got your answer (which is unclear according to
            the present state of this mail thread), I think that on Windows, Vim
            does its own globbing (unlike on Unix where wildcards other than ** are
            expanded by the shell). This means that wildcard expansion by Vim on
            Windows is done according to Vim rules, which are perhaps more unixy
            than what is customary on Windows. For instance, on Unix *.* doesn't
            mean "anything at all" (as it does on Dos/Windows), it means "anything
            with at least one actual dot in it". To get "anything at all", the Unix
            wildcard is just *

            VIRGO (Aug 23 - Sept 22)
            Learn something new today, like how to spell or how to count to
            ten without using your fingers. Be careful dressing this
            morning. You may be hit by a car later in the day and you
            wouldn't want to be taken to the doctor's office in some of
            that old underwear you own.