Re: shortcut for "edit-->paste" in escape mode in gvim

  • Matt Wozniski
    Message 1 of 3 , May 26, 2009
      On Wed, May 27, 2009 at 12:17 AM, Mahurshi Akilla wrote:

      > Under my current linux xterm settings, in vim, shit+insert generally
      > helps paste things from the clipboard, whether i am in escape mode or
      > insert mode.
      >
      > However, pressing shift+insert only pastes "<S-Insert>" in gvim.  Is
      > there a way to change this behavior and have it actually print the
      > contents of the clipboard?

      This excerpt from the Debian and Ubuntu debian.vim does exactly that:

      if has('gui_running')
      " Make shift-insert work like in Xterm
      map <S-Insert> <MiddleMouse>
      map! <S-Insert> <MiddleMouse>
      endif

      ~Matt

      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 1, 2009
        On 27/05/09 06:17, Mahurshi Akilla wrote:

        > Under my current linux xterm settings, in vim, shit+insert generally
        > helps paste things from the clipboard, whether i am in escape mode or
        > insert mode.
        >
        > However, pressing shift+insert only pastes "<S-Insert>" in gvim. Is
        > there a way to change this behavior and have it actually print the
        > contents of the clipboard?

        The clipboard (the one which you access with Edit => Cut, Edit => Copy
        or Edit => Paste) is known in Vim as the "plus" register (not to be
        confused with the "star" register, which is the same under MS-Windows
        but not under X11).

        Any register can be accessed in a number of ways, and not only through
        the menus; if you don't specify a register, you get the "default" or
        "unnamed" register, which is actually named register "double-quote".

        In Normal mode:

        "+P
        put the clipboard before the cursor

        "+p
        put the cursor after the cursor

        "+yy
        yank [count] lines (default: the current line) into the clipboard

        "+y{motion}
        "+y{object}
        {Visual}"+y
        yank the text moved over, or the text object, or the Visual selection,
        into the clipboard

        "+dd
        "+d{motion}
        "+d{object}
        {Visual}"+d
        the same, but delete instead of yanking

        :[range]put +
        put the clipboard after the [range] (default: current line). Use 0
        (zero) as the range to put before the first line, or $ (dollar) for
        after the last line.

        :[range]yank +
        yank the [range] (default: current line) into the clipboard

        :[range]delete +
        delete into the clipboard

        The ex-commands :put, :yank and :delete can be abbreviated to :pu :y or
        :d respectively, or to anything in-between (but :p is :print, not :put).

        :let @+ = <expression>
        :let <variable> = @+
        You can also use @+ in expressions and ":let" statements, just like any
        String variable. It means the clipboard.

        :redir @+
        " (do something)
        :redir END
        capture in the clipboard whatever the "do something" command(s) will
        display at the bottom of the screen. For instance, by using :version as
        the "do something" command, capture the details of your present Vim
        version for pasting into an email (such as a bug report).

        All this was for Normal mode. Now, in Insert (or Command-line) mode, you
        can insert the contents of the clipboard at the cursor by hitting Ctrl-R
        followed by +

        All these work for other registers too, for instance the registers a to
        z (using a letter instead of +) which are only used when you explicitly
        tell Vim to use them.

        Of course, unlike other registers, the clipboard is only available if
        you are using a Vim version compiled with +clipboard, either in GUI mode
        or in a terminal which has access to the clipboard (such as an xterm or
        the Windows console, but not the text-only Linux console accessed by
        Ctrl-Alt-F1 to Ctrl-Alt-F6 [Go back to X with Ctrl-Alt-F7]).

        See
        :help copy-move

        Slang is language that takes off its coat, spits on its hands, and goes
        to work.