Re: Showing portions of long last-lines with 'wrap'

    Message 1 of 5 , May 1, 2009
      On 27/04/09 17:51, Gene Kwiecinski wrote:

      >> Can I get a pointer to the right option or place in the help?
      >> (and maybe a redirecting link in the help from "help long-lines"
      >> or under )
      >
      > Ah! 'display' 'dy', option "lastline":
      >

      > *'display'* *'dy'*
      > 'display' 'dy' string (default "")
      > global
      > {not in Vi}
      > Change the way text is displayed. This is comma separated list
      > of
      > flags:
      > lastline When included, as much as possible of the last
      > line
      > in a window will be displayed. When not
      > included, a
      > last line that doesn't fit is replaced with "@"
      > lines.
      > uhex Show unprintable characters hexadecimal as<xx>
      > instead of using ^C and ~C.
      >

      > Haven't actually tried it, but was *sure* I recall seeing that as an
      > option.

      I have. Here is what happens when you use ":set wrap display=lastline":

      - If a long line starts somewhere in the middle of the window and
      overshoots the end of the window, as much as possible is displayed,
      except that the last three characters at bottom right in the window are
      replaced by @@@ (in blue by default). In 'rightleft' mode the @@@ are
      still at bottom right which I find somewhat illogical.

      - If a _very_ long line is longer than the whole size of the window, you
      may still put the edit cursor anywhere on that line, so that it starts
      at or before the start of the window _and_ ends after the end of the
      window. In that case, there is no visible indication of an overshoot.

      See ":help window-contents" (you may have to scroll some in order to
      reach the relevant part).

      There was a young girl of Angina
      Who stretched catgut across her vagina.
      From the love-making frock