Re: listchars

    Message 1 of 5 , May 1 6:49 PM
      On 02/05/09 01:31, John Beckett wrote:

      > ball wrote:
      >> How do you say, "Show me a tab, but don't show me EOL's?"
      >
      > Just leave out the 'eol'. See:
      > http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Highlight_unwanted_spaces
      >
      > John

      That won't work, it will use the default, which is a dollar sign.

      The idea is to replace the eol by a space, but for that, you must
      remember that in the "value" part of a ":set option=value" statement,
      the following must be backslash-escaped:

      - backslashes, otherwise they are seen as escape characters
      - double quotes, otherwise they start a comment
      - vertical bars, otherwise they start another ex-command on the same line
      - spaces and tabs, otherwise they terminate the ":set" statement

      So you need to use a backslash-escaped space as the value for the "eol"
      suboption, and to make it obvious that there _is_ a space, we'll place
      it before the "tab" suboption, as follows:

      :set list listchars=eol:\ ,tab:>-

      Similarly, to show non-standard (but non-blank) eols but standard white
      tabs, once upon a time I used:

      :set list listchars=tab:\ \ ,eol:¶

      ("tab:" left out would display tabs as ^I which I did _not_ want.)

      Nowadays I use

      :set list listchars=eol:¶,tab:\|_,nbsp:~

      which is slightly more complex but displays no-break spaces (directly,
      as blue tildes), end-of-line spaces (indirectly, by showing the EOL) and
      tabs as one bar followed by zero or more underscores (illustrating the
      need to escape the bar).

      THIS IS PLEDGE WEEK FOR THE FORTUNE PROGRAM

      If you like the fortune program, why not support it now with your
      contribution of a pithy fortune, clean or obscene? We cannot continue
      without your support. Less than 14% of all fortune users are
      contributors. That means that 86% of you are getting a free ride. We
      can't go on like this much longer. Federal cutbacks mean less money
      for fortunes, and unless user contributions increase to make up the
      difference, the fortune program will have to shut down between midnight
      and 8 a.m. Don't let this happen. Mail your fortunes right now to
      "fortune". Just type in your favorite pithy saying. Do it now before
      you forget. Our target is 300 new fortunes by the end of the week.
      Don't miss out. All fortunes will be acknowledged. If you contribute
      30 fortunes or more, you will receive a free subscription to "The
      Fortune Hunter", our monthly program guide. If you contribute 50 or
      more, you will receive a free "Fortune Hunter" coffee mug ....

    • John Beckett
      Message 2 of 5 , May 1 7:32 PM
        Tony Mechelynck wrote:
        >> Just leave out the 'eol'. See:
        >> http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Highlight_unwanted_spaces
        >
        > That won't work, it will use the default, which is a dollar sign.

        Are you sure that's true for current Vim? I rarely use
        listchars, but the following seems to show tabs and nothing
        for eol:

        :set list listchars=tab:>-

        John

        Message 3 of 5 , May 1 8:39 PM
          On 02/05/09 04:32, John Beckett wrote:

          > Tony Mechelynck wrote:
          >>> Just leave out the 'eol'. See:
          >>> http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Highlight_unwanted_spaces
          >>
          >> That won't work, it will use the default, which is a dollar sign.
          >
          > Are you sure that's true for current Vim? I rarely use
          > listchars, but the following seems to show tabs and nothing
          > for eol:
          >
          > :set list listchars=tab:>-
          >
          > John

          I tried, and you're right. Then I checked the help, and it's documented
          the way you say it. What's more, in 6.0.0 it was already documented the
          way you say it, and I never used Vim 5, so I wasn't confusing it with an
          older status of the same option.

          Score one for blabbering away without checking the docs.

          If all be true that I do think,
          There be Five Reasons why one should Drink;
          Good friends, good wine, or being dry,
          Or lest we should be by-and-by,
          Or any other reason why.