Re: autoindent: spaces and tabs

  • Y. Hida
    Message 1 of 5 , May 1, 2009
      On 2009-05-01, Matt Wozniski <mjw@...> wrote:

      > On Fri, May 1, 2009 at 2:16 AM, Y. Hida wrote:

      >>> see :h 'ci', you will find the answer:-)
      >>
      >> Thanks!  I didn't know about copyindent option.  In retrospect, I should
      >> haved grepped the vim help files before asking.
      >
      >:help 'preserveindent' might also be useful to you.

      Thanks, but it doesn't seem too useful for me. For example,
      (again ____ are tabs and . are spaces):

      void foo(int a,
      .........int b,
      .........int c)

      and doing >> results in

      ____void foo(int a,
      .........___.int b,
      .........___.int c)

      Note the tab character is inserted in the middle of spaces. Instead, I
      would like it to do

      ____void foo(int a,
      ____.........int b,
      ____.........int c)

      Now if a do << on that above text block, I get

      void foo(int a,
      ____.....int b,
      ____.....int c)

      instead of the original

      void foo(int a,

      But this doesn't annoy me as much as the original issue I had, since I
      can always remap << and >> to delete/insert tabs at the beginning of the
      line.

      Is preserveindent really useful for anyone?

      Thanks,
      -Yozo