Re: autoindent: spaces and tabs

  • Matt Wozniski
    Message 1 of 5 , May 1, 2009
      On Fri, May 1, 2009 at 2:16 AM, Y. Hida wrote:

      > On 2009-05-01, StarWing wrote:
      >> On 5月1日, 上午4时36分, "Y. Hida" wrote:
      >>> Hi,
      >>>
      >>>   I have a question regarding auto-indenting.  Suppose I have a line
      >>> whose indent is a mix of tabs and spaces, like following:
      >>>
      >>> ____....blah blah
      >>>
      >>> where ____ is a tab and . is a space.  When I insert a new line after
      >>> this vim either inserts only tabs
      >>
      >> see :h 'ci', you will find the answer:-)
      >
      > Thanks!  I didn't know about copyindent option.  In retrospect, I should
      > haved grepped the vim help files before asking.

      :help 'preserveindent' might also be useful to you.

      ~Matt

    • Y. Hida
      Message 2 of 5 , May 1, 2009
        On 2009-05-01, Matt Wozniski <mjw@...> wrote:

        > On Fri, May 1, 2009 at 2:16 AM, Y. Hida wrote:

        >>> see :h 'ci', you will find the answer:-)
        >>
        >> Thanks!  I didn't know about copyindent option.  In retrospect, I should
        >> haved grepped the vim help files before asking.
        >
        >:help 'preserveindent' might also be useful to you.

        Thanks, but it doesn't seem too useful for me. For example,
        (again ____ are tabs and . are spaces):

        void foo(int a,
        .........int b,
        .........int c)

        and doing >> results in

        ____void foo(int a,
        .........___.int b,
        .........___.int c)

        Note the tab character is inserted in the middle of spaces. Instead, I
        would like it to do

        ____void foo(int a,
        ____.........int b,
        ____.........int c)

        Now if a do << on that above text block, I get

        void foo(int a,
        ____.....int b,
        ____.....int c)

        instead of the original

        void foo(int a,

        But this doesn't annoy me as much as the original issue I had, since I
        can always remap << and >> to delete/insert tabs at the beginning of the
        line.

        Is preserveindent really useful for anyone?

        Thanks,
        -Yozo