Re: autoindent: spaces and tabs

  • StarWing
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 30 9:44 PM
      On 5月1日, 上午4时36分, "Y. Hida" <eigensol...@...> wrote:
      > Hi,
      >
      > I have a question regarding auto-indenting. Suppose I have a line
      > whose indent is a mix of tabs and spaces, like following:
      >
      > ____....blah blah
      >
      > where ____ is a tab and . is a space. When I insert a new line after
      > this vim either inserts only tabs, so I get
      >
      > ____....blah blah
      > ________
      >
      > Is there a way to just copy the indentation so that I get something
      > like:
      >
      > ____....blah blah
      > ____....
      >
      > instead? I like using this kind of indenting to give flexibility to
      > adjust tab widths without messing up other alignments, so that I can do
      > something like
      >
      > ____void func(some very long arguments,
      > ____..........more arguments aligned
      > ____..........even more arguments aligned)
      >
      > without manually fixing the indentations each time.
      >
      > -Yozo

      see :h 'ci', you will find the answer:-)
    • Y. Hida
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 30 11:16 PM
        On 2009-05-01, StarWing <weasley_wx@...> wrote:
        > On 5月1日, 上午4时36分, "Y. Hida" <eigensol...@...> wrote:
        >> Hi,
        >>
        >> I have a question regarding auto-indenting. Suppose I have a line
        >> whose indent is a mix of tabs and spaces, like following:
        >>
        >> ____....blah blah
        >>
        >> where ____ is a tab and . is a space. When I insert a new line after
        >> this vim either inserts only tabs, so I get
        >>
        >> ____....blah blah
        >> ________
        >>
        >> Is there a way to just copy the indentation so that I get something
        >> like:
        >>
        >> ____....blah blah
        >> ____....
        >>
        >> instead? I like using this kind of indenting to give flexibility to
        >> adjust tab widths without messing up other alignments, so that I can do
        >> something like
        >>
        >> ____void func(some very long arguments,
        >> ____..........more arguments aligned
        >> ____..........even more arguments aligned)
        >>
        >> without manually fixing the indentations each time.
        >>
        >> -Yozo
        >
        > see :h 'ci', you will find the answer:-)

        Thanks! I didn't know about copyindent option. In retrospect, I should
        haved grepped the vim help files before asking.

        -Yozo

      • Matt Wozniski
        Message 3 of 5 , May 1, 2009
          On Fri, May 1, 2009 at 2:16 AM, Y. Hida wrote:

          > On 2009-05-01, StarWing wrote:
          >> On 5月1日, 上午4时36分, "Y. Hida" wrote:
          >>> Hi,
          >>>
          >>>   I have a question regarding auto-indenting.  Suppose I have a line
          >>> whose indent is a mix of tabs and spaces, like following:
          >>>
          >>> ____....blah blah
          >>>
          >>> where ____ is a tab and . is a space.  When I insert a new line after
          >>> this vim either inserts only tabs
          >>
          >> see :h 'ci', you will find the answer:-)
          >
          > Thanks!  I didn't know about copyindent option.  In retrospect, I should
          > haved grepped the vim help files before asking.

          :help 'preserveindent' might also be useful to you.

          ~Matt

        • Y. Hida
          Message 4 of 5 , May 1, 2009
            On 2009-05-01, Matt Wozniski <mjw@...> wrote:

            > On Fri, May 1, 2009 at 2:16 AM, Y. Hida wrote:

            >>> see :h 'ci', you will find the answer:-)
            >>
            >> Thanks!  I didn't know about copyindent option.  In retrospect, I should
            >> haved grepped the vim help files before asking.
            >
            >:help 'preserveindent' might also be useful to you.

            Thanks, but it doesn't seem too useful for me. For example,
            (again ____ are tabs and . are spaces):

            void foo(int a,
            .........int b,
            .........int c)

            and doing >> results in

            ____void foo(int a,
            .........___.int b,
            .........___.int c)

            Note the tab character is inserted in the middle of spaces. Instead, I
            would like it to do

            ____void foo(int a,
            ____.........int b,
            ____.........int c)

            Now if a do << on that above text block, I get

            void foo(int a,
            ____.....int b,
            ____.....int c)

            instead of the original

            void foo(int a,

            But this doesn't annoy me as much as the original issue I had, since I
            can always remap << and >> to delete/insert tabs at the beginning of the
            line.

            Is preserveindent really useful for anyone?

            Thanks,
            -Yozo