Re: ":map" vs. ":map!" (was "Problem inserting '%' in vim")

  • Yegappan Lakshmanan
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 29, 2009
      Hi,

      On Wed, Apr 29, 2009 at 4:37 PM, Tony Mechelynck
      <antoine.mechelynck@...> wrote:

      >>> Check out :help map-modes
      >>
      >> I've reread that section a third time (it's just above the
      >> "mapmode-ic" I had already read), and it takes seeing all three
      >> tables/sections (mapmode-nvo, mapmode-ic, and mapmode-x) as
      >> interrelated and mutually exclusive to discern "
      >>
      >>> :map lists normal, visual, select, and operator pending mappings,
      >>> :map! lists insert, command line, and language mappings.
      >>
      >> " from that.  It might help to tweak the brief text at "help
      >> map-modes" to mention all three sections together to group them
      >> conceptually:
      >>
      >>     Overview of which map command works in which mode:
      >>      |mapmode-nvo|, |mapmode-x|, |mapmode-ic|
      >>
      >> (as an aside, it looks like there should be a help-target for
      >> "mapmode-xs" to follow the pattern of the other groupings)
      >>
      >> Thanks for pointing me to the bigger-picture structure of that
      >> section.
      >>
      >> -tim
      >>

      > Sorry for waking up an old thread; I'm really behind in reading my mail.
      >
      > I think the fundamental difference between ":map" and ":map!" is that
      > ":map!" (with exclamation mark) applies to modes (Insert/Replace and
      > Command-line) where letters, digits and punctuation are _typed_ as
      > letters, digits and punctuation (either into a buffer or on the
      > command-line) while ":map" (with no exclamation mark) applies to modes
      > where letters etc. are commands for various actions, motions, objects,
      > etc., but not characters to be typed (Normal, Visual and Operator-pending).

      The various aspects of mapping keys in Vim is explained in detail in
      the following pages:

      http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Mapping_keys_in_Vim_-_Tutorial_(Part_1)
      http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Mapping_keys_in_Vim_-_Tutorial_(Part_2)
      http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Mapping_keys_in_Vim_-_Tutorial_(Part_3)