Showing portions of long last-lines with 'wrap'

  • Tim Chase
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 27, 2009
      I'm fairly certain I've seen some option to twiddle, but I can't
      come up with the right magic words to disinter the answer from
      the help. With 'wrap' set (and 'nu' and 'list' set for clarity
      in this example), I have a document that looks like

      1 line1$
      2 $
      3 line3$
      4 @
      @
      ------end of screen-----------

      where the "@" shows the line continuations at the bottom rows of
      my document (line #4 is really long as the last line). I'd like
      to show the partial lines so it looks like

      1 line1$
      2 $
      3 line3$
      4 line444444444444444444444
      4444444444444444444444444
      ------end of screen-----------

      so I can at least see a fragment of the text.

      I've read at ":help wrap" and ":help wrap-off", as well as tried
      control+d/tab help completion for keywords like "long",
      "continuation"/"continue", "last" but had no luck.

      Can I get a pointer to the right option or place in the help?
      (and maybe a redirecting link in the help from "help long-lines"
      or under )

      Or maybe I'm just nuts and there is no option to do this?

      Thanks,

      -tim

    • Gene Kwiecinski
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 27, 2009
        >Can I get a pointer to the right option or place in the help?
        >(and maybe a redirecting link in the help from "help long-lines"
        >or under )

        Ah! 'display' 'dy', option "lastline":

        *'display'* *'dy'*
        'display' 'dy' string (default "")
        global
        {not in Vi}
        Change the way text is displayed. This is comma separated list
        of
        flags:
        lastline When included, as much as possible of the last
        line
        in a window will be displayed. When not
        included, a
        last line that doesn't fit is replaced with "@"
        lines.
        uhex Show unprintable characters hexadecimal as <xx>
        instead of using ^C and ~C.

        Haven't actually tried it, but was *sure* I recall seeing that as an
        option.

      • Tim Chase
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 27, 2009
          Gene Kwiecinski wrote:
          >> Can I get a pointer to the right option or place in the help?
          >> (and maybe a redirecting link in the help from "help long-lines"
          >> or under )
          >
          > Ah! 'display' 'dy', option "lastline"

          Exactly...a simple

          :set display+=lastline

          solved the problem.

          Thanks!

          (it might help findability to have some further links in the help
          from 'wrap' or "long-lines" to point to this option)

          -tim

        • Christian Brabandt
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 27, 2009
            Hi Tim!

            On Mo, 27 Apr 2009, Tim Chase wrote:

            > where the "@" shows the line continuations at the bottom rows of my
            > document (line #4 is really long as the last line). I'd like to
            > show the partial lines so it looks like
            >

            > 1 line1$
            > 2 $
            > 3 line3$
            > 4 line444444444444444444444
            > 4444444444444444444444444
            > ------end of screen-----------

            set display=lastline

            regards,
            Christian
            207. Your given you one phone call in prison and you ask them for a laptop.

            Message 5 of 5 , May 1, 2009
              On 27/04/09 17:51, Gene Kwiecinski wrote:

              >> Can I get a pointer to the right option or place in the help?
              >> (and maybe a redirecting link in the help from "help long-lines"
              >> or under )
              >
              > Ah! 'display' 'dy', option "lastline":
              >

              > *'display'* *'dy'*
              > 'display' 'dy' string (default "")
              > global
              > {not in Vi}
              > Change the way text is displayed. This is comma separated list
              > of
              > flags:
              > lastline When included, as much as possible of the last
              > line
              > in a window will be displayed. When not
              > included, a
              > last line that doesn't fit is replaced with "@"
              > lines.
              > uhex Show unprintable characters hexadecimal as<xx>
              > instead of using ^C and ~C.
              >

              > Haven't actually tried it, but was *sure* I recall seeing that as an
              > option.

              I have. Here is what happens when you use ":set wrap display=lastline":

              - If a long line starts somewhere in the middle of the window and
              overshoots the end of the window, as much as possible is displayed,
              except that the last three characters at bottom right in the window are
              replaced by @@@ (in blue by default). In 'rightleft' mode the @@@ are
              still at bottom right which I find somewhat illogical.

              - If a _very_ long line is longer than the whole size of the window, you
              may still put the edit cursor anywhere on that line, so that it starts
              at or before the start of the window _and_ ends after the end of the
              window. In that case, there is no visible indication of an overshoot.

              See ":help window-contents" (you may have to scroll some in order to
              reach the relevant part).

              There was a young girl of Angina
              Who stretched catgut across her vagina.
              From the love-making frock