Vimplugin: does it work on Vista or OS X?

  • George V. Reilly
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 22, 2009
      On Mon, Apr 6, 2009 at 11:46 AM, George V. Reilly <george@...> wrote:
      > On Sun, Apr 5, 2009 at 9:32 PM, George V. Reilly <george@...> wrote:
      > > Does Vimplugin work on OS X?
      > >
      > > I installed eclipse-SDK-3.4.2-macosx-carbon.tar.gz, the Aptana plugin,
      > > and the Vim plugin. Aptana is working fine.
      > >
      > > The Vim plugin shows up in the Preferences. I configured the path to
      > > gvim as /Applications/MacVim.app/Contents/MacOS/Vim and left the Port,
      > > Host, and Password parameters at their defaults. I tried enabling and
      > > disabling Embedding, but neither had any apparent effect.

      > I installed eclipse-SDK-3.4.2-win32.zip on Vista this morning. This
      > time, I read the installation instructions a little more carefully and
      > associated *.py with Vim.

      > Regardless of whether I embed Vim or not, I get the following error.
      > If it's not embedded, I briefly see gvim flicker into existence, then
      > disappear.

      > java.lang.ClassCastException: org.eclipse.ui.ide.FileStoreEditorInput
      > cannot be cast to org.eclipse.ui.IFileEditorInput
      > at org.vimplugin.editors.AbstractVimEditor.createPartControl(AbstractVimEditor.java:148)
      > at org.eclipse.ui.internal.EditorReference.createPartHelper(EditorReference.java:661)
      > at org.eclipse.ui.internal.EditorReference.createPart(EditorReference.java:428)
      > at org.eclipse.ui.internal.WorkbenchPartReference.getPart(WorkbenchPartReference.java:594)
      > at org.eclipse.ui.internal.PartPane.setVisible(PartPane.java:306)
      > ... [long stacktrace omitted]

      I tried installing Vimplugin for Eclipse on both Mac OS X 10.5 and Vista
      a couple of weeks ago, without success.
      I mailed the Vimplugin-devel list, asking for tips, but got no answer.
      That list is overrun with spam.

      Anyone here have any better luck?
      --
      /George V. Reilly george@...
      http://www.georgevreilly.com/blog http://blogs.cozi.com/tech

    • bjorn.winckler
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 23, 2009
        On Apr 23, 3:27 am, "George V. Reilly" wrote:

        > I tried installing Vimplugin for Eclipse on both Mac OS X 10.5 and Vista
        > a couple of weeks ago, without success.
        > I mailed the Vimplugin-devel list, asking for tips, but got no answer.
        > That list is overrun with spam.
        >
        > Anyone here have any better luck?

        As far as I can tell it requires +netbeans which MacVim.app currently
        does _not_ support. The vimplugin website wasn't entirely clear on
        this point though so I am only guessing.

        Björn
      • David Fishburn
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 23, 2009
          On Wed, Apr 22, 2009 at 10:27 PM, George V. Reilly <george@...> wrote:
          > I tried installing Vimplugin for Eclipse on both Mac OS X 10.5 and Vista
          > a couple of weeks ago, without success.
          > I mailed the Vimplugin-devel list, asking for tips, but got no answer.

          It appears the main developers still monitor that email list though.
          I have seen responses to people who have posted questions.

          > That list is overrun with spam.

          Yes, I see those as well (I am on the email list).
          But answers are still given to the real questions.

          Are you certain your query was not responded to?

          Dave

        • George V. Reilly
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 24, 2009
            On Thu, Apr 23, 2009 at 6:43 AM, David Fishburn <dfishburn.vim@...> wrote:

            On Wed, Apr 22, 2009 at 10:27 PM, George V. Reilly <george@...> wrote:
            > I tried installing Vimplugin for Eclipse on both Mac OS X 10.5 and Vista
            > a couple of weeks ago, without success.
            > I mailed the Vimplugin-devel list, asking for tips, but got no answer.

            It appears the main developers still monitor that email list though.
            I have seen responses to people who have posted questions.

            > That list is overrun with spam.

            Yes, I see those as well (I am on the email list).
            But answers are still given to the real questions.

            Are you certain your query was not responded to?

            Until John Beckett hooked me up with Sebastian Menge yesterday, I hadn't got a reply.
            Sebastian is overwhelmed with other stuff and hasn't been able to give vimplugin much love. He'd love to have some fresh developers, but it won't be me. I'm sure I could learn enough Java to be productive, but I don't have enough time for the projects that I'm already involved in.

          • Anton Sharonov
            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 25, 2009
              >> On Wed, Apr 22, 2009 at 10:27 PM, George V. Reilly <george@...>
              >> wrote:
              >> > I tried installing Vimplugin for Eclipse on both Mac OS X 10.5 and Vista
              >> > a couple of weeks ago, without success.
              >> > I mailed the Vimplugin-devel list, asking for tips, but got no answer.

              You can try eclim [1]. As far as I know, Eric has taken over some
              code of the Vimplugin for eclim's "headed" feature and maintains
              it now as part of eclim project.

              --
              Anton

              [1] eclim - http://eclim.sourceforge.net/