Re: Vi editor for answering emails?

  • Raúl Núñez de Arenas Coronado
    Message 1 of 36 , Mar 3, 2009
      Saluton James :)

      On Tue 3 Mar 2009 16:03 +0100, James Freer <j...@...> dixit:
      > As the initiator of this [as it's turned out] mammoth thread i think
      > it's time that i say thanks on behalf of everyone who has contributed
      > and for each of us who have learnt from it.

      This mammoth thread has been VERY useful to me, certainly. Otherwise I
      wouldn't access my email from everywhere (as I'm doing now using GMail)
      because I couldn't use Vim to edit email with GMail. For me, that meant
      "unusable", period. Vim is the perfect email editor for me, and thanks
      to the suggestions in this thread I can use it now for GMail.

      Moreover, with a dozen lines Vim fixes the lame attribution lines used
      by GMail and makes other automatic editions.

      > 'ItsAllText' provides me with the editor i want for most emails and
      > Exteditor for when i use TB to purge emails before i use
      > ImportExportTools to archive to disk. I did look at Claws and Kmail
      > but i don't think they areas good as TB.

      I've used Evolution, KMail, TB, Mutt, Claws, etc. and my choices are
      Mutt and lately Claws. Claws is for me much better than Thunderbird, but
      my opinion is certainly biased: I never liked Thunderbird really and
      everytime I have to use it I don't feel "at home". Fortunately, we can
      all choose :))

      I'm with you here: there's a lot of good and helpful people on this list
      :)

    • Raúl Núñez de Arenas Coronado
      Message 36 of 36 , Mar 5, 2009
        Saluton Gary :)

        On Wed 4 Mar 2009 20:23 +0100, Gary Johnson <g...@...> dixit:
        > On 2009-03-03, Raúl Núñez de Arenas Coronado wrote:
        >> The problem is that *all* text boxes have the same suffix for the
        >> filename. With "it's all text" you can choose the (fake) suffix to
        >> use when editing the file.
        >
        > I don't see the problem.  There's no reason to use just the suffix to
        > select the file type.  As Tom said, the ViewSourceWith Firefox plugin
        > uses the host name as part of the temporary file name, so you can use
        > that to help determine the file type.

        Not in my case at all. The temporary file name for GMail mailboxes was
        something like /tmp/tmp<lettersandnumbers>.txt

        If I had noticed a host name, all problems dissappear (more or less)
        because in GMail I *usually* want to edit email, while in other hosts I
        may want to edit other things.

        I'll check again...