Re: Out of memeory error!

  • Tim Chase
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 2, 2009
      > Therefore, the error message seems misleading. Also, it seems not
      > issues of "not enough memory".

      Though only tangential, I also get this on a sporadic basis on
      Win32 at work, but I've never gotten it with Vim -- it's usually
      one of the Office apps (Outlook & Excel are the ones I use most
      often at work, so by sheer use, they trigger it most often).
      Every single time, simply trying to reopen the app a 2nd time has
      worked.

      This leads me to believe it's a Windows issue rather than a Vim
      issue, that Windows can't allocate a sufficiently large chunk of
      memory to even load the app.

      -tim

    • Markus Heidelberg
      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 2, 2009
        vimim, 02.03.2009:

        > > > Any idea?  It is not reproducible though.
        > >
        > > What makes you think isn't actually running out of memory?
        > > Did you check your Virtual memory settings?
        >

        > (1) I clicked GVim icon hundreds of times per day, and never had such
        > an error except the one I posted
        > (2) At the time I hit the error, I only had FireFox running, and I
        > have not closed FireFox since the error
        > (3) Nothing wrong after I closed the error window, and kept clicking
        > GVim (and opened lots of apps)
        > (4) The last time I found that kind of error was several months ago.
        > (5) I never touched Virtual memory settings on Windows XP
        > (6) Windows Task Manager showed 1.3GB available Physical memory out of
        > 2GB

        I also encountered several "out of memory" errors at work. After the
        third one or so, I started taking screenshots, which I have put on this
        site: http://markus-hd.homepage.t-online.de/vim/

        The errors with "_start" in the filename occured on starting Vim, with
        "_close" on closing it. AFAIR it was always possible to continue working
        after confirming the message, but I closed and started again.

        System:
        - 2G RAM
        - Win XP, Vim 7.1.242 from cream without cream
        - Ubuntu in VMware, Vim 7.1.056 Ubuntu package (only 1 error, but with
        nearly 4G to allocate!?)

        I'm not sure if the error from 2008-09-17 was the last I got, but I
        think I got no errors for a long time now. Maybe due to the Vim update
        or the fact that I currently don't work with VMware any more (which was
        always or at least mostly running when getting the error with
        Windows-gvim).

        If this doesn't help, then let's have it for the statistics.

        Markus

      • Matt Wozniski
        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 2, 2009
          On Mon, Mar 2, 2009 at 7:14 PM, Markus Heidelberg wrote:

          > vimim, 02.03.2009:

          >> > What makes you think isn't actually running out of memory?
          >> > Did you check your Virtual memory settings?
          >
          > I also encountered several "out of memory" errors at work. After the
          > third one or so, I started taking screenshots, which I have put on this
          > site: http://markus-hd.homepage.t-online.de/vim/

          Might these be the first reported examples of this known bug?

          http://groups.google.com/group/vim_dev/browse_thread/thread/cddc023d7efaa18c/9a243a10348cfee2

          ~Matt

        • Markus Heidelberg
          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 2, 2009
            Matt Wozniski, 03.03.2009:

            > On Mon, Mar 2, 2009 at 7:14 PM, Markus Heidelberg wrote:
            > >
            > > vimim, 02.03.2009:

            > > I also encountered several "out of memory" errors at work. After the
            > > third one or so, I started taking screenshots, which I have put on this
            > > site: http://markus-hd.homepage.t-online.de/vim/
            >
            > Might these be the first reported examples of this known bug?
            >
            > http://groups.google.com/group/vim_dev/browse_thread/thread/cddc023d7efaa18c/9a243a10348cfee2

            Not quite, this one is a little bit older:

            http://groups.google.com/group/vim_use/browse_thread/thread/ba3b498df5711ddf

            But seems to be related. Though there is the one error message within
            Linux and not Windows, I encountered.

            Markus

            Message 5 of 11 , Mar 3, 2009
              On 02/03/09 01:14, Sean wrote:
              [...]
              > PS: My Gvim version:
              >
              > VIM - Vi IMproved 7.2 (2008 Aug 9, compiled Aug 10 2008
              > 10:08:21)
              > MS-Windows 32-bit GUI version
              > Compiled by masea@AMERICAS
              > Big version with GUI. Features included (+) or not (-):
              [...]

              This is 7.2.0, and the line numbers you give are also a few lines off
              compared to my up-to-date runtimes.

              Many memory-allocation bugs have been fixed since then; the description
              of all patches (one line per patch) can be found at
              http://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/patches/7.2/README

              You may want to install a recent patchlevel: the latest published patch
              is 7.2.130 but if you don't want to compile it yourself, a precompiled
              7.2.108 for 32-bit Windows (with runtime files as of 18 February) can be
              found in the form of a self-installing archive at
              https://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=43866&package_id=39721
              -- click on the clipboard-like icon to see which compile-time features
              were included.

              To compile Vim yourself on Windows, see
              http://users.skynet.be/antoine.mechelynck/vim/compile.htm

              I don't know if upgrading will fix your problem; but it ought not to
              harm, and it might fix other things.

              Real Programmers don't play tennis, or any other sport that requires
              you to change clothes. Mountain climbing is OK, and real programmers
              wear their climbing boots to work in case a mountain should suddenly
              spring up in the middle of the machine room.

            • Matt Wozniski
              Message 6 of 11 , Mar 3, 2009
                On Tue, Mar 3, 2009 at 3:59 PM, Tony Mechelynck wrote:

                > On 02/03/09 01:14, Sean wrote:
                > [...]
                >> PS:  My Gvim version:
                >>
                >> VIM - Vi IMproved 7.2 (2008 Aug 9, compiled Aug 10 2008
                >> 10:08:21)
                >> MS-Windows 32-bit GUI version
                >> Compiled by masea@AMERICAS
                >> Big version with GUI.  Features included (+) or not (-):
                > [...]
                >
                > This is 7.2.0, and the line numbers you give are also a few lines off
                > compared to my up-to-date runtimes.
                >
                > Many memory-allocation bugs have been fixed since then; the description
                > of all patches (one line per patch) can be found at
                > http://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/patches/7.2/README

                I've not seen any memory allocation bugs fixed. There were some bugs
                related to freed memory being access, and some related to memory never
                being freed, but were there any related to allocating memory?

                ~Matt