Re: Out of memeory error!

  • vimim
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 1, 2009
      > > Any idea?  It is not reproducible though.
      >
      > What makes you think isn't actually running out of memory?
      > Did you check your Virtual memory settings?

      (1) I clicked GVim icon hundreds of times per day, and never had such
      an error except the one I posted
      (2) At the time I hit the error, I only had FireFox running, and I
      have not closed FireFox since the error
      (3) Nothing wrong after I closed the error window, and kept clicking
      GVim (and opened lots of apps)
      (4) The last time I found that kind of error was several months ago.
      (5) I never touched Virtual memory settings on Windows XP
      (6) Windows Task Manager showed 1.3GB available Physical memory out of
      2GB

      On the other hand, the error report might mean something real. Do we
      need to modify line 1245 and line 1288 of the Vim "system" file (/usr/
      share/vim/vim72/runtime/filetype.vim)?

      Sean

    • Bram Moolenaar
      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 1, 2009
        Sean Ma wrote:

        > > > Any idea? It is not reproducible though.
        > >
        > > What makes you think isn't actually running out of memory?
        > > Did you check your Virtual memory settings?
        >

        > (1) I clicked GVim icon hundreds of times per day, and never had such
        > an error except the one I posted
        > (2) At the time I hit the error, I only had FireFox running, and I
        > have not closed FireFox since the error
        > (3) Nothing wrong after I closed the error window, and kept clicking
        > GVim (and opened lots of apps)
        > (4) The last time I found that kind of error was several months ago.
        > (5) I never touched Virtual memory settings on Windows XP
        > (6) Windows Task Manager showed 1.3GB available Physical memory out of
        > 2GB
        >
        > On the other hand, the error report might mean something real. Do we
        > need to modify line 1245 and line 1288 of the Vim "system" file (/usr/
        > share/vim/vim72/runtime/filetype.vim)?

        What is there exactly? I can only see the usual autocommand
        definitions around that line number.

        The message says it's allocating 250 bytes. No idea why that would
        fail. Usually problems like this happen when trying to allocate a weird
        number of bytes (e.g., -1).

        1 49. You find your computer sexier than your girlfriend

      • vimim
        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 1, 2009
          On Mar 1, 8:34 pm, Bram Moolenaar <B...@...> wrote:

          > > > What makes you think isn't actually running out of memory?
          > > > Did you check your Virtual memory settings?
          >
          > > (1) I clicked GVim icon hundreds of times per day, and never had such
          > > an error except the one I posted
          > > (2) At the time I hit the error, I only had FireFox running, and I
          > > have not closed FireFox since the error
          > > (3) Nothing wrong after I closed the error window, and kept clicking
          > > GVim  (and opened lots of apps)
          > > (4) The last time I found that kind of error was several months ago.
          > > (5) I never touched Virtual memory settings on Windows XP
          > > (6) Windows Task Manager showed 1.3GB available Physical memory out of
          > > 2GB
          >
          > > On the other hand, the error report might mean something real. Do we
          > > need to modify line 1245 and line 1288 of the Vim "system" file (/usr/
          > > share/vim/vim72/runtime/filetype.vim)?
          >
          > What is there exactly?  I can only see the usual autocommand
          > definitions around that line number.
          >
          > The message says it's allocating 250 bytes.  No idea why that would
          > fail.  Usually problems like this happen when trying to allocate a weird
          > number of bytes (e.g., -1).

          Therefore, the error message seems misleading. Also, it seems not
          issues of "not enough memory".
          I will try if I can reproduce the error. It is funny, though, it
          never shows up when I ask for error. :))

          Sean
        • Tim Chase
          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 2, 2009
            > Therefore, the error message seems misleading. Also, it seems not
            > issues of "not enough memory".

            Though only tangential, I also get this on a sporadic basis on
            Win32 at work, but I've never gotten it with Vim -- it's usually
            one of the Office apps (Outlook & Excel are the ones I use most
            often at work, so by sheer use, they trigger it most often).
            Every single time, simply trying to reopen the app a 2nd time has
            worked.

            This leads me to believe it's a Windows issue rather than a Vim
            issue, that Windows can't allocate a sufficiently large chunk of
            memory to even load the app.

            -tim

          • Markus Heidelberg
            Message 5 of 11 , Mar 2, 2009
              vimim, 02.03.2009:

              > > > Any idea?  It is not reproducible though.
              > >
              > > What makes you think isn't actually running out of memory?
              > > Did you check your Virtual memory settings?
              >

              > (1) I clicked GVim icon hundreds of times per day, and never had such
              > an error except the one I posted
              > (2) At the time I hit the error, I only had FireFox running, and I
              > have not closed FireFox since the error
              > (3) Nothing wrong after I closed the error window, and kept clicking
              > GVim (and opened lots of apps)
              > (4) The last time I found that kind of error was several months ago.
              > (5) I never touched Virtual memory settings on Windows XP
              > (6) Windows Task Manager showed 1.3GB available Physical memory out of
              > 2GB

              I also encountered several "out of memory" errors at work. After the
              third one or so, I started taking screenshots, which I have put on this
              site: http://markus-hd.homepage.t-online.de/vim/

              The errors with "_start" in the filename occured on starting Vim, with
              "_close" on closing it. AFAIR it was always possible to continue working
              after confirming the message, but I closed and started again.

              System:
              - 2G RAM
              - Win XP, Vim 7.1.242 from cream without cream
              - Ubuntu in VMware, Vim 7.1.056 Ubuntu package (only 1 error, but with
              nearly 4G to allocate!?)

              I'm not sure if the error from 2008-09-17 was the last I got, but I
              think I got no errors for a long time now. Maybe due to the Vim update
              or the fact that I currently don't work with VMware any more (which was
              always or at least mostly running when getting the error with
              Windows-gvim).

              If this doesn't help, then let's have it for the statistics.

              Markus

            • Matt Wozniski
              Message 6 of 11 , Mar 2, 2009
                On Mon, Mar 2, 2009 at 7:14 PM, Markus Heidelberg wrote:

                > vimim, 02.03.2009:

                >> > What makes you think isn't actually running out of memory?
                >> > Did you check your Virtual memory settings?
                >
                > I also encountered several "out of memory" errors at work. After the
                > third one or so, I started taking screenshots, which I have put on this
                > site: http://markus-hd.homepage.t-online.de/vim/

                Might these be the first reported examples of this known bug?

                http://groups.google.com/group/vim_dev/browse_thread/thread/cddc023d7efaa18c/9a243a10348cfee2

                ~Matt

              • Markus Heidelberg
                Message 7 of 11 , Mar 2, 2009
                  Matt Wozniski, 03.03.2009:

                  > On Mon, Mar 2, 2009 at 7:14 PM, Markus Heidelberg wrote:
                  > >
                  > > vimim, 02.03.2009:

                  > > I also encountered several "out of memory" errors at work. After the
                  > > third one or so, I started taking screenshots, which I have put on this
                  > > site: http://markus-hd.homepage.t-online.de/vim/
                  >
                  > Might these be the first reported examples of this known bug?
                  >
                  > http://groups.google.com/group/vim_dev/browse_thread/thread/cddc023d7efaa18c/9a243a10348cfee2

                  Not quite, this one is a little bit older:

                  http://groups.google.com/group/vim_use/browse_thread/thread/ba3b498df5711ddf

                  But seems to be related. Though there is the one error message within
                  Linux and not Windows, I encountered.

                  Markus

                  Message 8 of 11 , Mar 3, 2009
                    On 02/03/09 01:14, Sean wrote:
                    [...]
                    > PS: My Gvim version:
                    >
                    > VIM - Vi IMproved 7.2 (2008 Aug 9, compiled Aug 10 2008
                    > 10:08:21)
                    > MS-Windows 32-bit GUI version
                    > Compiled by masea@AMERICAS
                    > Big version with GUI. Features included (+) or not (-):
                    [...]

                    This is 7.2.0, and the line numbers you give are also a few lines off
                    compared to my up-to-date runtimes.

                    Many memory-allocation bugs have been fixed since then; the description
                    of all patches (one line per patch) can be found at
                    http://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/patches/7.2/README

                    You may want to install a recent patchlevel: the latest published patch
                    is 7.2.130 but if you don't want to compile it yourself, a precompiled
                    7.2.108 for 32-bit Windows (with runtime files as of 18 February) can be
                    found in the form of a self-installing archive at
                    https://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=43866&package_id=39721
                    -- click on the clipboard-like icon to see which compile-time features
                    were included.

                    To compile Vim yourself on Windows, see
                    http://users.skynet.be/antoine.mechelynck/vim/compile.htm

                    I don't know if upgrading will fix your problem; but it ought not to
                    harm, and it might fix other things.

                    Real Programmers don't play tennis, or any other sport that requires
                    you to change clothes. Mountain climbing is OK, and real programmers
                    wear their climbing boots to work in case a mountain should suddenly
                    spring up in the middle of the machine room.

                  • Matt Wozniski
                    Message 9 of 11 , Mar 3, 2009
                      On Tue, Mar 3, 2009 at 3:59 PM, Tony Mechelynck wrote:

                      > On 02/03/09 01:14, Sean wrote:
                      > [...]
                      >> PS:  My Gvim version:
                      >>
                      >> VIM - Vi IMproved 7.2 (2008 Aug 9, compiled Aug 10 2008
                      >> 10:08:21)
                      >> MS-Windows 32-bit GUI version
                      >> Compiled by masea@AMERICAS
                      >> Big version with GUI.  Features included (+) or not (-):
                      > [...]
                      >
                      > This is 7.2.0, and the line numbers you give are also a few lines off
                      > compared to my up-to-date runtimes.
                      >
                      > Many memory-allocation bugs have been fixed since then; the description
                      > of all patches (one line per patch) can be found at
                      > http://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/patches/7.2/README

                      I've not seen any memory allocation bugs fixed. There were some bugs
                      related to freed memory being access, and some related to memory never
                      being freed, but were there any related to allocating memory?

                      ~Matt