convert rtf to text

  • Bee
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 1, 2009
      I have found textutil.vim for the Mac that will convert .rtf to
      plain text.

      Is there a vim script to convert .rtf to plain text for linux?

      Also is there a vim script to convert .doc to plain text for linux?

      --
      Bill Muench
      Santa Cruz, California

    • Tom
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 2, 2009
        > I have found  textutil.vim  for the Mac that will convert .rtf to
        > plain text.

        I don't know that plugin but I would assume that the conversion isn't
        done in vimscript but by an external programm. So the question rather
        is, which program could you use to convert the file. You could then
        use eg ":read !converter filename" in a scratch buffer to read the
        file -- untested. When you run the filter on the buffer containing the
        file make sure not to save it under the original name. :-)

        > Is there a vim script to convert .rtf to plain text for linux?

        I think unrtf handles rtf. I don't know if it converts directly to
        plain text though. According to http://www.gnu.org/software/unrtf/unrtf.html
        it doesn't but you could run the html output through lynx I guess.

        > Also is there a vim script to convert .doc to plain text for linux?

        antiword does that. wv would be another option -- I have never used
        myself though.

        Other options could be found here:
        http://freshmeat.net/search/?q=word+text

        I don't know if there are plugins that use those converters or if you
        have to write your own command/function that does that. Hm, you might
        want to check out this vimtip "View and diff MS Word files"[1] that
        provides some help with that.

        Tom.

        [1] http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/View_and_diff_MS_Word_files
      • Bee
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 3, 2009
          On Mar 3, 2009, at 2:28 AM, Tom wrote:

          >> I have found textutil.vim for the Mac that will convert .rtf to
          >> plain text.
          >>

          > I don't know that plugin but I would assume that the conversion isn't
          > done in vimscript but by an external programm.

          Yes, it uses the MacOS "textutil" cli that does many conversions. It
          is like antiword, unrtf and more.

          >> Is there a vim script to convert .rtf to plain text for linux?
          >>

          > I think unrtf handles rtf.
          >
          >> Also is there a vim script to convert .doc to plain text for linux?
          >>
          > antiword does that. wv would be another option

          Thank you, I will look at these.
          --
          Bill
          Santa Cruz, California