Out of memeory error!

  • Sean
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 1, 2009

      It happens, more like lottery, but I did caught one case, when I
      doubled click Gvim on my Windows XP laptop. The real error can be
      found on http://maxiangjiang.googlepages.com/error_vim_out_of_memory.gif

      When I checked the file:
      vim C:/usr/share/vim/vim72/runtime/filetype.vim

      line 1245 is this line:
      au BufNewFile,BufRead /etc/passwd,/etc/passwd-,/etc/passwd.edit,/etc/
      shadow,/etc/shadow-,/var/backups/passwd.bak,/var/backups/shadow.bak
      setf passwd

      line 1288 is the last line this block:
      " Perl, XPM or XPM2
      au BufNewFile,BufRead *.pm
      \ if getline(1) =~ "XPM2" |
      \ setf xpm2 |
      \ elseif getline(1) =~ "XPM" |
      \ setf xpm |
      \ else |
      \ setf perl |
      \ endif

      Any idea? It is not reproducible though.

      PS: My Gvim version:

      VIM - Vi IMproved 7.2 (2008 Aug 9, compiled Aug 10 2008
      10:08:21)
      MS-Windows 32-bit GUI version
      Compiled by masea@AMERICAS
      Big version with GUI. Features included (+) or not (-):
      +arabic +autocmd +balloon_eval +browse ++builtin_terms
      +byte_offset +cindent
      +clientserver +clipboard +cmdline_compl +cmdline_hist
      +cmdline_info +comments
      +cryptv +cscope +cursorshape +dialog_con_gui +diff +digraphs
      -dnd -ebcdic
      +emacs_tags +eval +ex_extra +extra_search +farsi +file_in_path
      +find_in_path
      +float +folding -footer +gettext/dyn -hangul_input +iconv/dyn
      +insert_expand
      +jumplist +keymap +langmap +libcall +linebreak +lispindent
      +listcmds +localmap
      +menu +mksession +modify_fname +mouse +mouseshape
      +multi_byte_ime/dyn
      +multi_lang -mzscheme +netbeans_intg -ole -osfiletype
      +path_extra -perl
      -postscript +printer -profile -python +quickfix +reltime
      +rightleft -ruby
      +scrollbind +signs +smartindent -sniff +statusline
      -sun_workshop +syntax
      +tag_binary +tag_old_static -tag_any_white -tcl -tgetent
      -termresponse
      +textobjects +title +toolbar +user_commands +vertsplit
      +virtualedit +visual
      +visualextra +viminfo +vreplace +wildignore +wildmenu +windows
      +writebackup
      -xfontset -xim -xterm_save -xpm_w32
      system vimrc file: "$VIM\vimrc"
      user vimrc file: "$HOME\_vimrc"
      2nd user vimrc file: "$VIM\_vimrc"
      user exrc file: "$HOME\_exrc"
      2nd user exrc file: "$VIM\_exrc"
      system gvimrc file: "$VIM\gvimrc"
      user gvimrc file: "$HOME\_gvimrc"

    • Bram Moolenaar
      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 1, 2009
        Sean Ma wrote:

        > It happens, more like lottery, but I did caught one case, when I
        > doubled click Gvim on my Windows XP laptop. The real error can be
        > found on http://maxiangjiang.googlepages.com/error_vim_out_of_memory.gif
        >
        > When I checked the file:
        > vim C:/usr/share/vim/vim72/runtime/filetype.vim
        >
        > line 1245 is this line:
        > au BufNewFile,BufRead /etc/passwd,/etc/passwd-,/etc/passwd.edit,/etc/
        > shadow,/etc/shadow-,/var/backups/passwd.bak,/var/backups/shadow.bak
        > setf passwd
        >
        > line 1288 is the last line this block:
        > " Perl, XPM or XPM2
        > au BufNewFile,BufRead *.pm
        > \ if getline(1) =~ "XPM2" |
        > \ setf xpm2 |
        > \ elseif getline(1) =~ "XPM" |
        > \ setf xpm |
        > \ else |
        > \ setf perl |
        > \ endif
        >
        > Any idea? It is not reproducible though.

        What makes you think isn't actually running out of memory?
        Did you check your Virtual memory settings?

        147. You finally give up smoking...because it made the monitor dirty.

      • vimim
        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 1, 2009
          > > Any idea?  It is not reproducible though.
          >
          > What makes you think isn't actually running out of memory?
          > Did you check your Virtual memory settings?

          (1) I clicked GVim icon hundreds of times per day, and never had such
          an error except the one I posted
          (2) At the time I hit the error, I only had FireFox running, and I
          have not closed FireFox since the error
          (3) Nothing wrong after I closed the error window, and kept clicking
          GVim (and opened lots of apps)
          (4) The last time I found that kind of error was several months ago.
          (5) I never touched Virtual memory settings on Windows XP
          (6) Windows Task Manager showed 1.3GB available Physical memory out of
          2GB

          On the other hand, the error report might mean something real. Do we
          need to modify line 1245 and line 1288 of the Vim "system" file (/usr/
          share/vim/vim72/runtime/filetype.vim)?

          Sean

        • Bram Moolenaar
          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 1, 2009
            Sean Ma wrote:

            > > > Any idea? It is not reproducible though.
            > >
            > > What makes you think isn't actually running out of memory?
            > > Did you check your Virtual memory settings?
            >

            > (1) I clicked GVim icon hundreds of times per day, and never had such
            > an error except the one I posted
            > (2) At the time I hit the error, I only had FireFox running, and I
            > have not closed FireFox since the error
            > (3) Nothing wrong after I closed the error window, and kept clicking
            > GVim (and opened lots of apps)
            > (4) The last time I found that kind of error was several months ago.
            > (5) I never touched Virtual memory settings on Windows XP
            > (6) Windows Task Manager showed 1.3GB available Physical memory out of
            > 2GB
            >
            > On the other hand, the error report might mean something real. Do we
            > need to modify line 1245 and line 1288 of the Vim "system" file (/usr/
            > share/vim/vim72/runtime/filetype.vim)?

            What is there exactly? I can only see the usual autocommand
            definitions around that line number.

            The message says it's allocating 250 bytes. No idea why that would
            fail. Usually problems like this happen when trying to allocate a weird
            number of bytes (e.g., -1).

            1 49. You find your computer sexier than your girlfriend

          • vimim
            Message 5 of 11 , Mar 1, 2009
              On Mar 1, 8:34 pm, Bram Moolenaar <B...@...> wrote:

              > > > What makes you think isn't actually running out of memory?
              > > > Did you check your Virtual memory settings?
              >
              > > (1) I clicked GVim icon hundreds of times per day, and never had such
              > > an error except the one I posted
              > > (2) At the time I hit the error, I only had FireFox running, and I
              > > have not closed FireFox since the error
              > > (3) Nothing wrong after I closed the error window, and kept clicking
              > > GVim  (and opened lots of apps)
              > > (4) The last time I found that kind of error was several months ago.
              > > (5) I never touched Virtual memory settings on Windows XP
              > > (6) Windows Task Manager showed 1.3GB available Physical memory out of
              > > 2GB
              >
              > > On the other hand, the error report might mean something real. Do we
              > > need to modify line 1245 and line 1288 of the Vim "system" file (/usr/
              > > share/vim/vim72/runtime/filetype.vim)?
              >
              > What is there exactly?  I can only see the usual autocommand
              > definitions around that line number.
              >
              > The message says it's allocating 250 bytes.  No idea why that would
              > fail.  Usually problems like this happen when trying to allocate a weird
              > number of bytes (e.g., -1).

              Therefore, the error message seems misleading. Also, it seems not
              issues of "not enough memory".
              I will try if I can reproduce the error. It is funny, though, it
              never shows up when I ask for error. :))

              Sean
            • Tim Chase
              Message 6 of 11 , Mar 2, 2009
                > Therefore, the error message seems misleading. Also, it seems not
                > issues of "not enough memory".

                Though only tangential, I also get this on a sporadic basis on
                Win32 at work, but I've never gotten it with Vim -- it's usually
                one of the Office apps (Outlook & Excel are the ones I use most
                often at work, so by sheer use, they trigger it most often).
                Every single time, simply trying to reopen the app a 2nd time has
                worked.

                This leads me to believe it's a Windows issue rather than a Vim
                issue, that Windows can't allocate a sufficiently large chunk of
                memory to even load the app.

                -tim

              • Markus Heidelberg
                Message 7 of 11 , Mar 2, 2009
                  vimim, 02.03.2009:

                  > > > Any idea?  It is not reproducible though.
                  > >
                  > > What makes you think isn't actually running out of memory?
                  > > Did you check your Virtual memory settings?
                  >

                  > (1) I clicked GVim icon hundreds of times per day, and never had such
                  > an error except the one I posted
                  > (2) At the time I hit the error, I only had FireFox running, and I
                  > have not closed FireFox since the error
                  > (3) Nothing wrong after I closed the error window, and kept clicking
                  > GVim (and opened lots of apps)
                  > (4) The last time I found that kind of error was several months ago.
                  > (5) I never touched Virtual memory settings on Windows XP
                  > (6) Windows Task Manager showed 1.3GB available Physical memory out of
                  > 2GB

                  I also encountered several "out of memory" errors at work. After the
                  third one or so, I started taking screenshots, which I have put on this
                  site: http://markus-hd.homepage.t-online.de/vim/

                  The errors with "_start" in the filename occured on starting Vim, with
                  "_close" on closing it. AFAIR it was always possible to continue working
                  after confirming the message, but I closed and started again.

                  System:
                  - 2G RAM
                  - Win XP, Vim 7.1.242 from cream without cream
                  - Ubuntu in VMware, Vim 7.1.056 Ubuntu package (only 1 error, but with
                  nearly 4G to allocate!?)

                  I'm not sure if the error from 2008-09-17 was the last I got, but I
                  think I got no errors for a long time now. Maybe due to the Vim update
                  or the fact that I currently don't work with VMware any more (which was
                  always or at least mostly running when getting the error with
                  Windows-gvim).

                  If this doesn't help, then let's have it for the statistics.

                  Markus

                • Matt Wozniski
                  Message 8 of 11 , Mar 2, 2009
                    On Mon, Mar 2, 2009 at 7:14 PM, Markus Heidelberg wrote:

                    > vimim, 02.03.2009:

                    >> > What makes you think isn't actually running out of memory?
                    >> > Did you check your Virtual memory settings?
                    >
                    > I also encountered several "out of memory" errors at work. After the
                    > third one or so, I started taking screenshots, which I have put on this
                    > site: http://markus-hd.homepage.t-online.de/vim/

                    Might these be the first reported examples of this known bug?

                    http://groups.google.com/group/vim_dev/browse_thread/thread/cddc023d7efaa18c/9a243a10348cfee2

                    ~Matt

                  • Markus Heidelberg
                    Message 9 of 11 , Mar 2, 2009
                      Matt Wozniski, 03.03.2009:

                      > On Mon, Mar 2, 2009 at 7:14 PM, Markus Heidelberg wrote:
                      > >
                      > > vimim, 02.03.2009:

                      > > I also encountered several "out of memory" errors at work. After the
                      > > third one or so, I started taking screenshots, which I have put on this
                      > > site: http://markus-hd.homepage.t-online.de/vim/
                      >
                      > Might these be the first reported examples of this known bug?
                      >
                      > http://groups.google.com/group/vim_dev/browse_thread/thread/cddc023d7efaa18c/9a243a10348cfee2

                      Not quite, this one is a little bit older:

                      http://groups.google.com/group/vim_use/browse_thread/thread/ba3b498df5711ddf

                      But seems to be related. Though there is the one error message within
                      Linux and not Windows, I encountered.

                      Markus

                      Message 10 of 11 , Mar 3, 2009
                        On 02/03/09 01:14, Sean wrote:
                        [...]
                        > PS: My Gvim version:
                        >
                        > VIM - Vi IMproved 7.2 (2008 Aug 9, compiled Aug 10 2008
                        > 10:08:21)
                        > MS-Windows 32-bit GUI version
                        > Compiled by masea@AMERICAS
                        > Big version with GUI. Features included (+) or not (-):
                        [...]

                        This is 7.2.0, and the line numbers you give are also a few lines off
                        compared to my up-to-date runtimes.

                        Many memory-allocation bugs have been fixed since then; the description
                        of all patches (one line per patch) can be found at
                        http://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/patches/7.2/README

                        You may want to install a recent patchlevel: the latest published patch
                        is 7.2.130 but if you don't want to compile it yourself, a precompiled
                        7.2.108 for 32-bit Windows (with runtime files as of 18 February) can be
                        found in the form of a self-installing archive at
                        https://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=43866&package_id=39721
                        -- click on the clipboard-like icon to see which compile-time features
                        were included.

                        To compile Vim yourself on Windows, see
                        http://users.skynet.be/antoine.mechelynck/vim/compile.htm

                        I don't know if upgrading will fix your problem; but it ought not to
                        harm, and it might fix other things.

                        Real Programmers don't play tennis, or any other sport that requires
                        you to change clothes. Mountain climbing is OK, and real programmers
                        wear their climbing boots to work in case a mountain should suddenly
                        spring up in the middle of the machine room.

                      • Matt Wozniski
                        Message 11 of 11 , Mar 3, 2009
                          On Tue, Mar 3, 2009 at 3:59 PM, Tony Mechelynck wrote:

                          > On 02/03/09 01:14, Sean wrote:
                          > [...]
                          >> PS:  My Gvim version:
                          >>
                          >> VIM - Vi IMproved 7.2 (2008 Aug 9, compiled Aug 10 2008
                          >> 10:08:21)
                          >> MS-Windows 32-bit GUI version
                          >> Compiled by masea@AMERICAS
                          >> Big version with GUI.  Features included (+) or not (-):
                          > [...]
                          >
                          > This is 7.2.0, and the line numbers you give are also a few lines off
                          > compared to my up-to-date runtimes.
                          >
                          > Many memory-allocation bugs have been fixed since then; the description
                          > of all patches (one line per patch) can be found at
                          > http://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/patches/7.2/README

                          I've not seen any memory allocation bugs fixed. There were some bugs
                          related to freed memory being access, and some related to memory never
                          being freed, but were there any related to allocating memory?

                          ~Matt