Re: Profiling VIM and/or displaying current action

    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 24, 2009
      On 22/02/09 20:36, Dominique Pelle wrote:
      > WL wrote:
      [...]
      > Which version of Vim are you using? I recommend compiling
      > the latest version of Vim (Vim-7.2.121 as of today) to get all
      > latest bug fixes.

      This is a good counsel for any problem: if you aren't using the latest
      version/patchlevel, try getting it (7.2.127 as of today), maybe your
      problem was solved in the meantime. If your current version is only a
      few patchlevels from the latest one, look at the bottom of
      http://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/patches/7.2/README to see if any of the
      intervening patches looks promising. (That README file has a one-line
      summary for every patch to the current version.)

      > For example, following recent patch fixed a endless loop:
      >
      > 7.2.106 endless loop for "]s" in HTML when there are no misspellings
      >
      > Now to answer your questions:
      >
      >> 1. Is there a way to profile VIM so that I could find the culprit
      >> script or .vimrc line?
      >
      > You can profile Vim itself with gprof or you can also profile vim
      > scripts with the profiler builtin feature in Vim (see :help profile).
      > If this feature is built in Vim command :version should output
      > +profile.
      [...]

      If you have a version with -profile, install (or compile) a Huge version
      of Vim -- according to ":help +feature-list", the profiling feature is
      at the moment the only difference (all other things being equal) between
      Big and Huge builds. (On Windows, Steve Hall's Vim distributions hosted
      on the Cream project site include Big builds, so even on Windows, you'll
      probably have to compile it yourself. See the Compiling HowTo pages for
      Windows or Unix/Linux on my Vim site
      http://users.skynet.be/antoine.mechelynck/vim/ for details.)

      Oregon, n.:
      Eighty billion gallons of water with no place to go on Saturday
      night.