in gVim, can the cursor be fixed and no moving?

  • eliweiqiang
    Message 1 of 21 , Feb 21, 2009
      Sometimes I will use the mouse to control page scroll, but the cursor
      will scroll with the page, then I can not find its original location.
      So, how can I fix the cursor? like other editors, their cursors won't
      move while scrolling.

    • Charles E. Campbell, Jr.
      Message 2 of 21 , Feb 21, 2009
        eliweiqiang wrote:
        > Sometimes I will use the mouse to control page scroll, but the cursor
        > will scroll with the page, then I can not find its original location.
        > So, how can I fix the cursor? like other editors, their cursors won't
        > move while scrolling.

        One interpretation: you want the cursor to remain fixed with respect to
        the text...
        You can use ctrl-e and ctrl-y up to a point for this. However, its a vi
        thing; the cursor must show on the page.
        So scrolling will rapidly bring the cursor to the top or bottom, and the
        top or bottom is where it'll remain.

        Another interpretation: you want the cursor to remain fixed with respect
        to the screen boundaries...
        set ve=all nosol
        should help.

        Regards,
        Chip Campbell

      • bill lam
        Message 3 of 21 , Feb 21, 2009
          On Sat, 21 Feb 2009, Charles E. Campbell, Jr. wrote:

          > eliweiqiang wrote:
          > > Sometimes I will use the mouse to control page scroll, but the cursor
          > > will scroll with the page, then I can not find its original location.
          > > So, how can I fix the cursor? like other editors, their cursors won't
          > > move while scrolling.
          > >
          > One interpretation: you want the cursor to remain fixed with respect to
          > the text...

          I should have similar experience in that the "current line" can not go
          out of the visible window. Eg, If the current line is "30" and you use
          the scroll bar to scroll down to line 100, you will see the current
          line become the top line of the current visible window. My workaround
          is to mark the original line and jump back after scrolling. The
          effect is prominent because I hightlight the current line. I am also
          interested to know if the current line can outside the current visible
          window or not.

          --
          regards,
          GPG key 1024D/4434BAB3 2008-08-24

        • Charles E. Campbell, Jr.
          Message 4 of 21 , Feb 22, 2009
            bill lam wrote:
            > On Sat, 21 Feb 2009, Charles E. Campbell, Jr. wrote:
            >
            >> eliweiqiang wrote:
            >>
            >>> Sometimes I will use the mouse to control page scroll, but the cursor
            >>> will scroll with the page, then I can not find its original location.
            >>> So, how can I fix the cursor? like other editors, their cursors won't
            >>> move while scrolling.
            >>>

            >> One interpretation: you want the cursor to remain fixed with respect to
            >> the text...
            >>

            > <snip>I am also
            > interested to know if the current line can outside the current visible
            > window or not.

            As I said: its a vi thing. The cursor must always remain visible.

            Regards,
            Chip Campbell

          • Filipe
            Message 5 of 21 , Feb 23, 2009
              I use a kind of bookmark. These lines are from my vimrc file:

              nmap \s <Esc>:let cp=getpos(".")<C-CR>:echo cp<C-CR><Esc> "Saves the
              cursor's position
              nmap \g <Esc>:call setpos('.',cp)<C-CR><Esc> "Set's the cursor back
              to the saved location

              You must save the position before scrolling. I hope that his will do
              the trick for you.

              Regards,
              Filipe Teixeira

            • A. S. Budden
              Message 6 of 21 , Feb 23, 2009
                2009/2/23 Filipe <filipe.teixeira82@...>:

                > I use a kind of bookmark. These lines are from my vimrc file:
                >
                > nmap \s <Esc>:let cp=getpos(".")<C-CR>:echo cp<C-CR><Esc> "Saves the
                > cursor's position
                > nmap \g <Esc>:call setpos('.',cp)<C-CR><Esc> "Set's the cursor back
                > to the saved location
                >
                > You must save the position before scrolling. I hope that his will do
                > the trick for you.

                Just out of interest, how is this different to using marks?

                ma
                `a

                :help mark
                :help `a

                Al

              • Tim Chase
                Message 7 of 21 , Feb 23, 2009
                  >> nmap \s <Esc>:let cp=getpos(".")<C-CR>:echo cp<C-CR><Esc> "Saves the
                  >> cursor's position
                  >> nmap \g <Esc>:call setpos('.',cp)<C-CR><Esc> "Set's the cursor back
                  >> to the saved location
                  >>
                  >> You must save the position before scrolling. I hope that his will do
                  >> the trick for you.
                  >
                  > Just out of interest, how is this different to using marks?

                  The only benefit(s) I see involve not using/overwriting named
                  marks. So you can have an arbitrary number of them (with a
                  little extension) stored in a List; or if you need to refrain
                  from overwriting the existing marks, this is a decent way to do it.

                  However, in every other case, I'd say using marks wins -- it's
                  portable to vi/nvi/etc as well as minimal builds of vim where
                  +eval wasn't included.

                  -tim

                • Filipe
                  Message 8 of 21 , Feb 23, 2009
                    I only use marks for important parts of the file to which I have to go
                    to very often. This mappings are a kind of temporally marks to use
                    when I just want to take a peek further down (or up) the screen.

                    But someone who doesn't uses marks, the ma/'a stuff will do fine also.

                    Filipe Teixeira

                    Message 9 of 21 , Feb 24, 2009
                      On 22/02/09 15:43, Charles E. Campbell, Jr. wrote:
                      > bill lam wrote:

                      >>> One interpretation: you want the cursor to remain fixed with respect to
                      >>> the text...
                      >>>
                      >> <snip>I am also
                      >> interested to know if the current line can outside the current visible
                      >> window or not.
                      >>

                      > As I said: its a vi thing. The cursor must always remain visible.
                      >
                      > Regards,
                      > Chip Campbell

                      The only apparent exception is that of incremental search, where you'll
                      see the line containing the first match (if any) in the direction of the
                      search (with possible wraparound).

                      However, that exception is only apparent because, during incremental
                      search, the "active" cursor is on the command-line where you're typing
                      your search command. If you abort the search with Esc, if you hit
                      Backspace enough times to remove the / or ? at far left (or at far right
                      in 'rightleft' mode), or if you hit Enter but nothing is found, the
                      active cursor will go back to the line you started from, which will come
                      back into view; if you accept the search with Enter while a match is
                      being shown, the active cursor will go to that match, which, again, is
                      in view.

                      There are three kinds of lies: Lies, Damn Lies, and Statistics.
                      -- Disraeli

                    • eliweiqiang
                      Message 10 of 21 , Feb 24, 2009
                        I have a new idea, I want the gVim can save the cursor's position when
                        the "current line" changed automatically while I am using the mouse to
                        scroll .

                        So what shall I write in the vimrc?

                        On 2月23日, 下午7时25分, Filipe <filipe.teixeir...@...> wrote:
                        > I use a kind of bookmark. These lines are from my vimrc file:
                        >
                        > nmap \s <Esc>:let cp=getpos(".")<C-CR>:echo cp<C-CR><Esc> "Saves the
                        > cursor's position
                        > nmap \g <Esc>:call setpos('.',cp)<C-CR><Esc> "Set's the cursor back
                        > to the saved location
                        >
                        > You must save the position before scrolling. I hope that his will do
                        > the trick for you.
                        >
                        > Regards,
                        > Filipe Teixeira
                      • Albie Janse van Rensburg
                        Message 11 of 21 , Feb 25, 2009
                          eliweiqiang wrote:
                          > On 2月23日, 下午7时25分, Filipe <filipe.teixeir...@...> wrote:
                          >
                          >> I use a kind of bookmark. These lines are from my vimrc file:
                          >>
                          >> nmap \s <Esc>:let cp=getpos(".")<C-CR>:echo cp<C-CR><Esc> "Saves the
                          >> cursor's position
                          >> nmap \g <Esc>:call setpos('.',cp)<C-CR><Esc> "Set's the cursor back
                          >> to the saved location
                          >>
                          >> You must save the position before scrolling. I hope that his will do
                          >> the trick for you.
                          >>
                          >> Regards,
                          >> Filipe Teixeira
                          >>
                          > I have a new idea, I want the gVim can save the cursor's position when
                          > the "current line" changed automatically while I am using the mouse to
                          > scroll .
                          >
                          > So what shall I write in the vimrc

                          You could probably write some sort of a function that will make a mark
                          if the <MouseDown> "key" is pressed. Some untested code:

                          "-----------script-----------
                          let s:savedpos = 0
                          function! <sid>HandleMouseMove(direction)
                          " If we have already saved a position, don't do it again
                          if s:savedpos != 0
                          return
                          endif
                          let savepos = 0
                          " Detect if we're about to scroll out of the viewport
                          if a:direction == "down"
                          if line(".") == line("w0")
                          let savepos = 1
                          endif
                          elseif a:direction == "up"
                          if line(".") == line("w$")
                          let savepos = 1
                          endif
                          endif
                          if savepos == 1
                          let s:savedpos = line(".")
                          endif
                          endfunction

                          function! <sid>ReturnCursorPos()
                          if s:savedpos != 0
                          execute "normal " . s:savedpos . "gg"
                          let s:savedpos = 0
                          endif
                          endfunction

                          noremap <silent> <MouseUp> :call<sid>HandleMouseMove("up")<cr><MouseUp>
                          noremap <silent> <MouseDown> :call<sid>HandleMouseMove("up")<cr><MouseDown>
                          noremap <silent> <F10> :call<sid>ReturnCursorPos()<cr>
                          "-----------script-----------

                          Note: this should only work on an X11 GUI. For xterm, refer to
                          :help xterm-mouse-wheel
                          for configuration. On Win32 (as I am at the moment, thus the "untested"
                          bit), unfortunately you'll have to find another way.

                          --

                          [ Albie Janse van Rensburg ~ http://morph.telspace.co.za ]

                          Better late than never.
                          -- Titus Livius (Livy)

                        • Albie Janse van Rensburg
                          Message 12 of 21 , Feb 25, 2009
                            Whoops!
                            > noremap <silent> <MouseUp> :call<sid>HandleMouseMove("up")<cr><MouseUp>
                            > noremap <silent> <MouseDown> :call<sid>HandleMouseMove("up")<cr><MouseDown>
                            > noremap <silent> <F10> :call<sid>ReturnCursorPos()<cr>

                            the middle line should be:

                            noremap <silent> <MouseDown> :call<sid>HandleMouseMove("down")<cr><MouseDown>

                            --

                            [ Albie Janse van Rensburg ~ http://morph.telspace.co.za ]

                            Desist from enumerating your fowl prior to their emergence from the shell.

                          • eliweiqiang
                            Message 13 of 21 , Feb 25, 2009
                              Thanks very much!
                              But unfortunately I am on Win32.
                              That is to say unfortunately I can not use your code ......

                            • eliweiqiang
                              Message 14 of 21 , Feb 28, 2009
                                Are there anybody know how to do it in Win32?
                                Message 15 of 21 , Feb 28, 2009
                                  On 28/02/09 13:54, eliweiqiang wrote:
                                  > Are there anybody know how to do it in Win32?

                                  On Win32 just like on other platforms, in Vim it is not possible to have
                                  the current cursor move out of view. In this respect the behaviour is
                                  platform-independent; please reread the rest of this thread.

                                  Why does New Jersey have more toxic waste dumps and California have
                                  more lawyers?

                                  New Jersey had first choice.

                                • Ben Fritz
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Feb 28, 2009
                                    On Feb 28, 7:22 am, Tony Mechelynck <antoine.mechely...@...>
                                    wrote:
                                    > On 28/02/09 13:54, eliweiqiang wrote:
                                    >
                                    > > Are there anybody know how to do it in Win32?
                                    >
                                    > On Win32 just like on other platforms, in Vim it is not possible to have
                                    > the current cursor move out of view. In this respect the behaviour is
                                    > platform-independent; please reread the rest of this thread.

                                    Tony, I think eliweiqiang was asking for a script similar to what
                                    Albie wrote for X11.

                                    eliweiqiang, if you BOTTOM POST WHEN ASKING QUESTIONS ON THIS LIST, as
                                    people have been reminding posters again and again in the past month
                                    or so, you question could be understood much easier.
                                    Message 17 of 21 , Feb 28, 2009
                                      On 28/02/09 21:47, Ben Fritz wrote:

                                      > On Feb 28, 7:22 am, Tony Mechelynck<antoine.mechely...@...>
                                      > wrote:
                                      >> On 28/02/09 13:54, eliweiqiang wrote:
                                      >>
                                      >>> Are there anybody know how to do it in Win32?
                                      >> On Win32 just like on other platforms, in Vim it is not possible to have
                                      >> the current cursor move out of view. In this respect the behaviour is
                                      >> platform-independent; please reread the rest of this thread.
                                      >>

                                      > Tony, I think eliweiqiang was asking for a script similar to what
                                      > Albie wrote for X11.

                                      Ah, sorry. I had archived earlier posts, and I remembered the general
                                      trend, but not Albie's script, so, as eliweiqiang snipped everything,
                                      all I had to go with was the subject and what he posted here. Duh.

                                      > eliweiqiang, if you BOTTOM POST WHEN ASKING QUESTIONS ON THIS LIST, as
                                      > people have been reminding posters again and again in the past month
                                      > or so, you question could be understood much easier.

                                      You'd better beat it. You can leave in a taxi. If you can't get a
                                      taxi, you can leave in a huff. If that's too soon, you can leave in a
                                      minute and a huff.
                                      -- Groucho Marx

                                    • eliweiqiang
                                      Message 18 of 21 , Mar 1 7:02 AM
                                        It doesn't matter.Thank you all the same.
                                        And thanks for Ben's reminding, I am new here. :-)

                                        On Mar 1, 5:05 am, Tony Mechelynck <antoine.mechely...@...>
                                        wrote:
                                        > On 28/02/09 21:47, Ben Fritz wrote:
                                        >

                                        > > On Feb 28, 7:22 am, Tony Mechelynck<antoine.mechely...@...>
                                        > > wrote:

                                        > >> On Win32 just like on other platforms, in Vim it is not possible to have
                                        > >> the current cursor move out of view. In this respect the behaviour is
                                        > >> platform-independent; please reread the rest of this thread.
                                        >
                                        > > Tony, I think eliweiqiang was asking for a script similar to what
                                        > > Albie wrote for X11.
                                        >
                                        > Ah, sorry. I had archived earlier posts, and I remembered the general
                                        > trend, but not Albie's script, so, as eliweiqiang snipped everything,
                                        > all I had to go with was the subject and what he posted here. Duh.
                                        >

                                        > > eliweiqiang, if you BOTTOM POST WHEN ASKING QUESTIONS ON THIS LIST, as
                                        > > people have been reminding posters again and again in the past month
                                        > > or so, you question could be understood much easier.
                                        >
                                        > Best regards,
                                        > Tony.
                                        > --
                                        > You'd better beat it.  You can leave in a taxi.  If you can't get a
                                        > taxi, you can leave in a huff.  If that's too soon, you can leave in a
                                        > minute and a huff.
                                        >                 -- Groucho Marx
                                      • bill lam
                                        Message 19 of 21 , Mar 1 7:14 AM
                                          On Sun, 01 Mar 2009, eliweiqiang wrote:

                                          > And thanks for Ben's reminding, I am new here. :-)
                                          >
                                          > > On 28/02/09 21:47, Ben Fritz wrote:
                                          > > > eliweiqiang, if you BOTTOM POST WHEN ASKING QUESTIONS ON THIS LIST, as
                                          > > > people have been reminding posters again and again in the past month
                                          > > > or so, you question could be understood much easier.

                                          Are you sure you understood what Ben had said?

                                          --
                                          regards,
                                          GPG key 1024D/4434BAB3 2008-08-24
                                          唐詩196 劉長卿 長沙過賈誼宅
                                          三年謫宦此棲遲 萬古惟留楚客悲 秋草獨尋人去後 寒林空見日斜時
                                          漢文有道恩猶薄 湘水無情弔豈知 寂寂江山搖落處 憐君何事到天涯

                                        • Raúl Núñez de Arenas Coronado
                                          Message 20 of 21 , Mar 1 8:03 AM
                                            Saluton eliweiqiang :)

                                            On Sun 1 Mar 2009 16:02 +0100, eliweiqiang <e...@...> dixit:
                                            > It doesn't matter.Thank you all the same.
                                            > And thanks for Ben's reminding, I am new here.   :-)
                                            [...]
                                            >> > eliweiqiang, if you BOTTOM POST WHEN ASKING QUESTIONS ON THIS LIST, as
                                            >> > people have been reminding posters again and again in the past month
                                            >> > or so, you question could be understood much easier.

                                            Please, *bottom post*. That means that your reply has to be *BELOW* the
                                            replied text (the quoted part). Just like this message.

                                            When bottom-posting, the replies are ordered top to bottom and
                                            cronologically, making easier to follow the conversations :)

                                          • eliweiqiang
                                            Message 21 of 21 , Mar 1 10:24 PM
                                              On Mar 2, 12:03 am, Raúl Núñez de Arenas Coronado wrote:
                                              > Saluton eliweiqiang :)
                                              >
                                              > On Sun 1 Mar 2009 16:02 +0100, eliweiqiang <e...@...> dixit:
                                              >
                                              > > It doesn't matter.Thank you all the same.
                                              > > And thanks for Ben's reminding, I am new here.   :-)
                                              > [...]
                                              >
                                              > Please, *bottom post*. That means that your reply has to be *BELOW* the
                                              > replied text (the quoted part). Just like this message.
                                              >
                                              > When bottom-posting, the replies are ordered top to bottom and
                                              > cronologically, making easier to follow the conversations :)

                                              Oh!Now I see!
                                              :)