Re: echo shown nothing before a dialog

  • Dominique Pelle
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 3, 2009
      Vincent Birebent wrote:

      > Hi,
      >
      > I'm new to this list, so please apologize if I ask wrongly.
      >
      > When I source that:
      >
      > :echo "Hey!"
      > :let choice = 0
      > :while choice < 3
      > : let choice = confirm("Why?", "&Why not?\nBecau&Se\n&Quit", 3)
      > : if choice == 1
      > : echo "Because I'm asking"
      > : elseif choice == 2
      > : echo "Not getting near an answer..."
      > : endif
      > :endwhile
      >
      > The first "Hey!" shows, but none of the following echos. It leaves
      > blank lines instead. It works on regular vim...
      >
      > Also (probably noobish question): in vim after I type ":" I can get
      > last entered commands by using down arrow (and after ":m" all former
      > commands begining with ":m"...). Doesn't seems to work on Macvim... Am
      > I wrong?
      >
      > Thanks.

      I can reproduce it using gvim (GUI GTK2 on Linux) and only when
      gvim is started remotely though "ssh -Y" (X11 forwarding). When I
      press the "Why?" button, sometimes I see "Because I'm asking"
      and sometimes see an empty string (maybe ~50% of the time).
      I could reproduce it on 2 different machines using vim-7.2.93.

      If I try to run gvim with valgrind, then bug no longer happens.

      If I try to run gvim locally (i.e. without ssh -Y), then bug does
      not happen either.

      Bug does not happen with vim in terminal either.

      These symptoms suggest that it might be a timing issue
      (race condition) in the GTK2 GUI since:
      - running with "ssh -Y" or with valgrind definitely affects speed
      - the empty string happens at random time (~ 50% of the time)

      -- Dominique