Auto-complete in substitution

  • Nicolas Aggelidis
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 2, 2009
      hi to all the list!

      I want to ask if it possible to have auto-complete feature with the
      substitute command....
      Many times i want some long variable names, and i miss having the
      autocomplete....

      a workaround would be to use a named register (or the default) but
      this requires that
      you copy stuff prior to substituting + to use a lot more keystrokes...

      is there anyway to enable auto-complete, or a faster work around?

      best regards,
      nicolas

    • StarWing
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 2, 2009
        maybe you can build a tag file, and define a command that has tag-
        complete feature
        :h :command-completion

        or you can save something into register
        or you can only search(there are search history, you can only press
        <up> to get elder search), and use %s//.../g to substitute.
        or you can save all command into a register, and @..
        let @z="%s/abc/def/g\<CR>"
        and press @z to substitute.

        there are many ideas, you must tell us what do you want to do exactly.

        On 2月2日, 下午4时27分, Nicolas Aggelidis <n.aggeli...@...> wrote:
        > hi to all the list!
        >
        > I want to ask if it possible to have auto-complete feature with the
        > substitute command....
        > Many times i want some long variable names, and i miss having the
        > autocomplete....
        >
        > a workaround would be to use a named register (or the default) but
        > this requires that
        > you copy stuff prior to substituting + to use a lot more keystrokes...
        >
        > is there anyway to enable auto-complete, or a faster work around?
        >
        > best regards,
        > nicolas
      • John Beckett
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 2, 2009
          StarWing #3:

          Please bottom post on this list. Quote a small (relevant) part
          of the message you are replying to, and put your text underneath.
          http://groups.google.com/group/vim_use/web/vim-information

          John

        • Ben Fritz
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 2, 2009
            On Feb 2, 2:27 am, Nicolas Aggelidis <n.aggeli...@...> wrote:

            > I want to ask if it possible to have auto-complete feature with the
            > substitute command....
            > Many times i want some long variable names, and i miss having the
            > autocomplete....

            Completion with CTRL-P and CTRL-N at least seems to work in the
            command window. See http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Using_command-line_history.
            This probably isn't exactly what you want, but it should at least help
            a little.
          • tocer
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 5, 2009
              Excerpts from Nicolas Aggelidis's message of 一 2月 02 16:27:40 +0800 2009:

              > hi to all the list!
              >
              > I want to ask if it possible to have auto-complete feature with the
              > substitute command....
              > Many times i want some long variable names, and i miss having the
              > autocomplete....

              try this: