Re: What to do with heredoc in dosini tip?

    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 1, 2009
      On 02/02/09 02:55, Ben Schmidt wrote:
      >>> http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Syntax_heredoc_highlighting_for_dosini
      >>>
      >> Right... it's not exactly the most standardized format out there.
      >
      > I agree. It's a mess.
      >
      >> Some parsers support quoted RHS, others don't. It wouldn't shock me
      >> if some support heredocs, but for the ones that do, is "dosini" really
      >> the best filetype name? DOS doesn't support heredocs AFAIR, and .ini
      >> is used on other systems than DOS as an easily-parseable format...
      >> Maybe "dosini.vim" should be moved to "ini.vim", since it is used on
      >> non-dos systems? Is there any precedent for renaming a filetype?
      >
      > My memory matches yours regarding DOS, etc. I don't know of a precedent,
      > for a name change but I think such a change would make sense in this
      > case. It probably shouldn't have, but the .ini format has spread like a
      > virus to all kinds of areas.

      What about backwards compatibility? With, for instance, users having
      ~/.vim/after/ftplugin/dosini.vim (and/or syntax/dosini.vim,
      indent/dosini.vim) or files with other extensions having ft=dosini in a
      Vim modeline?

      Or else, keep the existing dosini.vim scripts and define a new "ini"
      filetype with different scripts, the detection (and identification of
      which is which) being done maybe automatically (by inspecting the file's
      contents) or maybe manually (by a global variable -- undefined would
      mean keep the current behaviour)?

      The new scripts could even source the old ones (and extend them) the way
      cpp.vim does with c.vim

      >> Well... how much harm is there in including it even if it isn't
      >> supported? It would only affect people who assign a variable a value
      >> matching /<<\(\I\i*\)/ - wouldn't it be safe to assume that no one
      >> would do that unless they knew the file would be parsed by something
      >> supporting heredocs?
      >
      > I think so.
      >
      > Ben.

      or those who include that kind of text in a comment?

      The streets are safe in Philadelphia, it's only the people who make
      them unsafe.
      -- Mayor Frank Rizzo