Re: What to do with heredoc in dosini tip?

  • Ben Schmidt
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 1, 2009
      >> http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Syntax_heredoc_highlighting_for_dosini
      >>
      > Right... it's not exactly the most standardized format out there.

      I agree. It's a mess.

      > Some parsers support quoted RHS, others don't. It wouldn't shock me
      > if some support heredocs, but for the ones that do, is "dosini" really
      > the best filetype name? DOS doesn't support heredocs AFAIR, and .ini
      > is used on other systems than DOS as an easily-parseable format...
      > Maybe "dosini.vim" should be moved to "ini.vim", since it is used on
      > non-dos systems? Is there any precedent for renaming a filetype?

      My memory matches yours regarding DOS, etc. I don't know of a precedent,
      for a name change but I think such a change would make sense in this
      case. It probably shouldn't have, but the .ini format has spread like a
      virus to all kinds of areas.

      > Well... how much harm is there in including it even if it isn't
      > supported? It would only affect people who assign a variable a value
      > matching /<<\(\I\i*\)/ - wouldn't it be safe to assume that no one
      > would do that unless they knew the file would be parsed by something
      > supporting heredocs?

      I think so.

      Ben.

      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 1, 2009
        On 02/02/09 02:55, Ben Schmidt wrote:
        >>> http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Syntax_heredoc_highlighting_for_dosini
        >>>
        >> Right... it's not exactly the most standardized format out there.
        >
        > I agree. It's a mess.
        >
        >> Some parsers support quoted RHS, others don't. It wouldn't shock me
        >> if some support heredocs, but for the ones that do, is "dosini" really
        >> the best filetype name? DOS doesn't support heredocs AFAIR, and .ini
        >> is used on other systems than DOS as an easily-parseable format...
        >> Maybe "dosini.vim" should be moved to "ini.vim", since it is used on
        >> non-dos systems? Is there any precedent for renaming a filetype?
        >
        > My memory matches yours regarding DOS, etc. I don't know of a precedent,
        > for a name change but I think such a change would make sense in this
        > case. It probably shouldn't have, but the .ini format has spread like a
        > virus to all kinds of areas.

        What about backwards compatibility? With, for instance, users having
        ~/.vim/after/ftplugin/dosini.vim (and/or syntax/dosini.vim,
        indent/dosini.vim) or files with other extensions having ft=dosini in a
        Vim modeline?

        Or else, keep the existing dosini.vim scripts and define a new "ini"
        filetype with different scripts, the detection (and identification of
        which is which) being done maybe automatically (by inspecting the file's
        contents) or maybe manually (by a global variable -- undefined would
        mean keep the current behaviour)?

        The new scripts could even source the old ones (and extend them) the way
        cpp.vim does with c.vim

        >> Well... how much harm is there in including it even if it isn't
        >> supported? It would only affect people who assign a variable a value
        >> matching /<<\(\I\i*\)/ - wouldn't it be safe to assume that no one
        >> would do that unless they knew the file would be parsed by something
        >> supporting heredocs?
        >
        > I think so.
        >
        > Ben.

        or those who include that kind of text in a comment?

        The streets are safe in Philadelphia, it's only the people who make
        them unsafe.
        -- Mayor Frank Rizzo