Re: Powershell files (.ps1) not being detected correctly

  • Guillermo
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 1, 2009
      > First issue that occurs to me is that your admin user might have
      > downloaded the files into a directory that assigned permissions that
      > don't allow read to other users. Best way to check that is (as another
      > user) to try to view the file (in Vim or at command prompt or Explorer
      > or anything).

      Exactly, I get an error saying that I don't have access to the files
      (as a regular user).

      > If that doesn't solve it, please be more explicit:
      > - Exactly what are you downloading? (one of the scripts?)
      > - Exactly what is the file and what directory?
      >
      > For example, I suspect you might need the vim/vimfiles/syntax directory,
      > but I don't think you mentioned 'syntax'.

      After logging on as Admin, I've downloaded three Vim customization (?)
      files for Powershell: syntax, indent and ftplugin.

      I've then moved these files from the Desktop to VIM\VIMFILES\(SYNTAX,
      INDENT, FTPLUGIN). VIM\VIMFILES and the mentioned subfolders were
      created during the installation of Vim, I didn't have to create them
      as Admin now.

      As a normal user, I can access (read-only mode) any file under VIM
      \VIM72, but none of the files for Powershell that I've just moved to
      VIM\VIMFILES as Admin. As a result of this, syntax highlighting, etc
      for python works well, for example, but nothing happens for Powershell
      files, even though the filetype is detected correctly (ps1). So I
      guess Vim can't access the files in VIM\VIMFILES that I've put there
      as Admin and fails silently, since the default python files are
      located under VIM\VIM72 and my ps1 files are in VIM\VIMFILES.

      Hope this helps to clarify my problem.

      Guillermo
    • John Beckett
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 1, 2009
        Guillermo wrote:
        > Exactly, I get an error saying that I don't have access to
        > the files (as a regular user).

        In Windows, your desktop is part of your profile, and all files have
        permissions that prevent other general users reading the files. Moving
        those files to some other directory will KEEP the permissions. If you
        had COPIED the files they would have received new permissions (probably
        the simplest would be to do that now; move the files out of the
        directory, then copy them back).

        John

      • Guillermo
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 3, 2009
          That's a nasty gotcha... It worked! Thanks!

          On Feb 2, 2:43 am, "John Beckett" <johnb.beck...@...> wrote:
          > Guillermo wrote:
          > > Exactly, I get an error saying that I don't have access to
          > > the files (as a regular user).
          >
          > In Windows, your desktop is part of your profile, and all files have
          > permissions that prevent other general users reading the files. Moving
          > those files to some other directory will KEEP the permissions. If you
          > had COPIED the files they would have received new permissions (probably
          > the simplest would be to do that now; move the files out of the
          > directory, then copy them back).
          >
          > John
        • Guillermo
          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 3, 2009
            > In Windows, your desktop is part of your profile, and all files have
            > permissions that prevent other general users reading the files. Moving
            > those files to some other directory will KEEP the permissions. If you
            > had COPIED the files they would have received new permissions

            That's a nasty gotcha.

            It worked! Thanks!

            Guillermo