Re: Not an editor command?

    Message 1 of 17 , Jan 30, 2009
      On 30/01/09 17:51, Ian Duncan wrote:
      > shim.vim is in my ~/.vim/plugins and contains GhciRange and GhciFile.
      > Here's my .vimrc:
      [...]

      OK. How does shim.vim define them? Doesn't it use them before defining them?

      "Grub first, then ethics."
      -- Bertolt Brecht

    • Ian Duncan
      Message 2 of 17 , Jan 30, 2009
        I managed to get shim.vim to work by using :so ~/.vim/plugins/
        shim.vim, but I'm just not able to get any scripts working by putting
        them into my .vim/foo folders. Does vim not autoload them, or does
        MacVim just not play nice by reading what's in the .vim folder?

        On Jan 30, 2009, at 11:05 AM, Tony Mechelynck wrote:

        > On 30/01/09 17:51, Ian Duncan wrote:
        >> shim.vim is in my ~/.vim/plugins and contains GhciRange and GhciFile.
        >> Here's my .vimrc:
        > [...]
        >
        > OK. How does shim.vim define them? Doesn't it use them before
        > defining them?
        >

        > Best regards,
        > Tony.
        > --
        > "Grub first, then ethics."
        > -- Bertolt Brecht

      • John Beckett
        Message 3 of 17 , Jan 30, 2009
          Ian Duncan wrote:
          > I managed to get shim.vim to work by using ...

          Please bottom post on this list. Quote a small (relevant) part
          of the message you are replying to, and put your text underneath.
          http://groups.google.com/group/vim_use/web/vim-information

          John

        • björn
          Message 4 of 17 , Jan 31, 2009
            Hi Ian,

            On Jan 30, 6:56 pm, Ian Duncan wrote:
            > I managed to get shim.vim to work by using :so ~/.vim/plugins/
            > shim.vim, but I'm just not able to get any scripts working by putting
            > them into my .vim/foo folders. Does vim not autoload them, or does
            > MacVim just not play nice by reading what's in the .vim folder?

            I think the problem is that you've called the folder "plugins" with an
            "s" at the end -- it should be called "plugin" without the "s". I
            just tried myself, I put "shim.vim" in a folder called ".vim/plugin"
            and everything works (using MacVim snapshot 42) -- I've tested opening
            a Haskell file and pressing <C-c><C-l> without any problems.

            Björn

          • Ben Fritz
            Message 5 of 17 , Jan 31, 2009
              On Jan 30, 11:56 am, Ian Duncan <ikd...@...> wrote:
              > I managed to get shim.vim to work by using :so ~/.vim/plugins/
              > shim.vim, but I'm just not able to get any scripts working by putting
              > them into my .vim/foo folders. Does vim not autoload them, or does
              > MacVim just not play nice by reading what's in the .vim folder?

              First, please bottom post.

              Second, what is displayed from the command, ":set runtimepath?"? If
              you don't see your ~/.vim directory, then no, MacVim doesn't read it.

              From :help 'runtimepath', you can see that the "Macintosh" defaults to
              "$VIM:vimfiles,$VIMRUNTIME,$VIM:vimfiles:after" but I don't know
              whether this applies to your system or not. If it does, then it would
              seem ~/.vim is NOT on your runtime path by default, and you will just
              need to put your plugins, etc. in $VIM:vimfiles and
              $VIM:vimfiles:after, wherever those are (is a path separator in the
              Mac world really a colon?).
            • Ian Duncan
              Message 6 of 17 , Jan 31, 2009
                > First, please bottom post.

                Sorry, about that.

                Thanks to everyone who helped! I eventually discovered that the issue
                was that I placed my vim scripts in a ~/.vim/plugins rather than
                ~/.vim/plugin. This has solved my problem.