Re: Not an editor command?

  • Agathoklis D. Hatzimanikas
    Message 1 of 17 , Jan 30, 2009
      On Fri, Jan 30, at 10:51 Ian Duncan wrote:

      > shim.vim is in my ~/.vim/plugins and contains GhciRange and GhciFile.
      > Here's my .vimrc:

      If shim.vim is the plugin in:

      then, what the following command returns:

      echo has('ruby')

      Regards,
      Ag.

      Message 2 of 17 , Jan 30, 2009
        On 30/01/09 17:51, Ian Duncan wrote:
        > shim.vim is in my ~/.vim/plugins and contains GhciRange and GhciFile.
        > Here's my .vimrc:
        [...]

        OK. How does shim.vim define them? Doesn't it use them before defining them?

        "Grub first, then ethics."
        -- Bertolt Brecht

      • Ian Duncan
        Message 3 of 17 , Jan 30, 2009
          I managed to get shim.vim to work by using :so ~/.vim/plugins/
          shim.vim, but I'm just not able to get any scripts working by putting
          them into my .vim/foo folders. Does vim not autoload them, or does
          MacVim just not play nice by reading what's in the .vim folder?

          On Jan 30, 2009, at 11:05 AM, Tony Mechelynck wrote:

          > On 30/01/09 17:51, Ian Duncan wrote:
          >> shim.vim is in my ~/.vim/plugins and contains GhciRange and GhciFile.
          >> Here's my .vimrc:
          > [...]
          >
          > OK. How does shim.vim define them? Doesn't it use them before
          > defining them?
          >

          > Best regards,
          > Tony.
          > --
          > "Grub first, then ethics."
          > -- Bertolt Brecht

        • John Beckett
          Message 4 of 17 , Jan 30, 2009
            Ian Duncan wrote:
            > I managed to get shim.vim to work by using ...

            Please bottom post on this list. Quote a small (relevant) part
            of the message you are replying to, and put your text underneath.
            http://groups.google.com/group/vim_use/web/vim-information

            John

          • björn
            Message 5 of 17 , Jan 31, 2009
              Hi Ian,

              On Jan 30, 6:56 pm, Ian Duncan wrote:
              > I managed to get shim.vim to work by using :so ~/.vim/plugins/
              > shim.vim, but I'm just not able to get any scripts working by putting
              > them into my .vim/foo folders. Does vim not autoload them, or does
              > MacVim just not play nice by reading what's in the .vim folder?

              I think the problem is that you've called the folder "plugins" with an
              "s" at the end -- it should be called "plugin" without the "s". I
              just tried myself, I put "shim.vim" in a folder called ".vim/plugin"
              and everything works (using MacVim snapshot 42) -- I've tested opening
              a Haskell file and pressing <C-c><C-l> without any problems.

              Björn

            • Ben Fritz
              Message 6 of 17 , Jan 31, 2009
                On Jan 30, 11:56 am, Ian Duncan <ikd...@...> wrote:
                > I managed to get shim.vim to work by using :so ~/.vim/plugins/
                > shim.vim, but I'm just not able to get any scripts working by putting
                > them into my .vim/foo folders. Does vim not autoload them, or does
                > MacVim just not play nice by reading what's in the .vim folder?

                First, please bottom post.

                Second, what is displayed from the command, ":set runtimepath?"? If
                you don't see your ~/.vim directory, then no, MacVim doesn't read it.

                From :help 'runtimepath', you can see that the "Macintosh" defaults to
                "$VIM:vimfiles,$VIMRUNTIME,$VIM:vimfiles:after" but I don't know
                whether this applies to your system or not. If it does, then it would
                seem ~/.vim is NOT on your runtime path by default, and you will just
                need to put your plugins, etc. in $VIM:vimfiles and
                $VIM:vimfiles:after, wherever those are (is a path separator in the
                Mac world really a colon?).
              • Ian Duncan
                Message 7 of 17 , Jan 31, 2009
                  > First, please bottom post.

                  Sorry, about that.

                  Thanks to everyone who helped! I eventually discovered that the issue
                  was that I placed my vim scripts in a ~/.vim/plugins rather than
                  ~/.vim/plugin. This has solved my problem.