Re: How does gvim detach itself from the parent shell?

  • fritzophrenic
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 5, 2009
      On Jan 1, 7:45 am, bgold12 <bgol...@...> wrote:
      > Hey, I've written a few C++ programs that I use regularly, and it
      > would be nice if I could get them to detach from the parent shell when
      > I call them, but I don't know how to do it. How does gvim do it?
      >
      > I'm on Windows (shell = command prompt).

      Try using the "start" command in the cmd shell.

      For example, if your program's name is my_prgm.exe, you could launch
      it in a new (shell) window by typing:

      start my_prgm arg1 arg2

      This command can also be used from within Vim to start an external
      process and have Vim not wait for it to complete:

      :silent !start my_prgm