Re: an independent Chinese IME is available

  • pansz
    Message 1 of 70 , Jan 3, 2009
      Sean 写道:
      > I am interested in how to improve performance, which seems not the
      > issue for me, though.
      >
      > These are my computing environments:
      >
      > laptop: HP MODEL nc6320
      > OS: Windows XP
      > CPU: 1.66GHz
      > RAM: 2GB
      >
      > Also, the gvim.exe Memory Usage is less than 7MB with or without my
      > plugin.
      >
      > My own data file is over 32K lines, and the Chinese shows up within
      > one second after I type ma<C-I>, as shown on my screen shot. If I
      > typed <C-I> on empty space, I did find it is kind of "hanging" and I
      > had to type <C-C> to stop it. However, it makes little sense to type
      > <C-I> over empty space.
      <C-I> does not work for me and I have to use <C-X><C-U> to work, I don't
      see you mapping <C-I> to anything I suspect you mapped it in your .vimrc?

      It make sense to type over empty space since that may be an extra
      keystroke. i.e. you typed 马,then press your <C-I> after 马。

      The performance is low compared to most existing input methods, the
      performance does improve when I truncate the dict file, however, in
      practical the dict file would be only larger than the sample, not smaller.

      After all, any use-case this can be used for a full sentence? I consider
      the following:
      1. cannot use space for completion, which is very common in IMEs.
      2. cannot use number keys for selection, e.g. when there's multiple
      selections there is no way to select the 3rd quickly.
      3. completion window does not pop-up when typing, must type<C-I> which
      means we don't know whether a word is available and we don't know an
      error when typing.
      4. cannot match the first characters if the whole word missing: type
      woyao<C-I> and nothing happens, we expect 'wo' can be matched and show
      我, since the problem here is woyao not recorded as vocabulary.

      At the current stage, the ease of use is low, and if we rely on vim's
      built-in completion things cannot be easily improved.

    • bill lam
      Message 70 of 70 , Feb 5, 2009
        On Fri, 06 Feb 2009, Tony Mechelynck wrote:

        > On 06/02/09 04:34, Sean wrote:
        > [...]
        > > Wow. There are 9 tones out there? No wonder everyone laughs at me when
        > > I tried to speak Cantonese. :)
        > [...]
        >
        > IIUC, depending whom you ask, how you count them, and how you romanize
        > the language, there may be 6, 8 or 9 tones in Cantonese: see among
        > others http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cantonese

        IIUC, there are 9 tones. However, for romanization or ime purpose.
        the last three tones are always associate with romanization ended with
        p t k (入聲), so that for they can be mixed with the first 6 tones
        without causing ambiguity: 7->1, 8->3, 9->6. Hypothetically If
        mandarin also encode the 4th tone using a trailing letter, there will
        be only 3 tones in mandarin and obviously that will not be correct.
        Not sure about 8 tones.

        --
        regards,
        GPG key 1024D/4434BAB3 2008-08-24