96638Re: spaces

  • Richard Hartmann
    Oct 1, 2008
      On Wed, Oct 1, 2008 at 20:23, Matthew Winn <vim@...> wrote:

      > Trailing spaces can be made visible, but
      > the visibility of space within a line is implied by the characters
      > surrounding it:

      True.

      > The only possible use for this feature would be if you
      > needed to know exactly how many spaces were in a long gap, but there
      > are easier ways to find that out than making them visible and counting
      > them by eye.

      A quick eyballing can be a lot more convenient than actually counting
      stuff conciously.

      > What problem is solved by making spaces within a line visible?

      I think that is the wrong way to ask this question. As the line has
      to be parsed anyway and all the option handling etc is available
      via list & listchars anyway, overhead would be minimal.
      As few/some/many people would find this useful (if only sometimes,
      as in my case), I don't think there is anything from this being
      supported.

      Ultimately, this is up to Bram, of course.

      Richard