93803Re: Opening every buffer in its own tab

  • Benjamin Fritz
    Aug 1, 2008
      On Fri, Aug 1, 2008 at 6:19 AM, ThoML <micathom@...> wrote:

      >> map __ :buffers<BAR>
      >> \let i = input("Buffer number: ")<BAR>
      >> \execute "buffer " . i<CR>
      >
      > :b has command line completion. So, you could use the buffer name. In
      > conjunction with wildmenu, this already is quite good.
      >
      > I think though many user will use some sort of plugin to handle
      > buffers.

      Here's how I use tabs, buffers, etc.

      I _love_ Vim's tabs, and use them all the time. I understand that they
      work differently than tabs in other applications, and really like the
      difference.

      I view tabs _almost_ as if they were individual instances of Vim,
      except that they share access to buffers and some other things like
      the quickfix window. I often have several windows open in several
      tabs, often with the same buffer loaded in multiple tabs. I don't
      really see any particular reason that opening a buffer should jump to
      a tab if it is already open, but I believe there are plugins or tips
      that accomplish that (though I can't remember what they are). I like
      that I can open a file in Vim wherever I want it, whether it be in a
      new window in the current tab, a new tab, etc.

      Here's an example of effective use of Vim's tabs, that is impossible
      in other editors:

      Open a new Vim session.
      :e file1.abc
      :tabe file2.abc
      :tabe file1.abc
      :vert diffsplit file2.abc

      Now, you have 1 tab that you can use to edit file1, one tab to edit
      file2, and one tab dedicated to comparing differences between the two,
      side-by-side.

      There are many other ways to use Vim's tabs; the possibilities are
      practically endless.

      Note that some options can control how tabs/windows/buffers are
      treated when opening files. See, for example, :help 'switchbuf'. You
      can also prepend "tab" to many commands similarly to the "vert" that I
      used in my example. Something I do a lot is ":tab help <topic>" so I
      can see the help in it's own tab, where it doesn't reduce the working
      space for my current buffer by splitting the window.

      One final thing to note is that the tips on vim.org have been
      superceded by the Vim Tips Wiki. The tip you reference in your post is
      available at http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/VimTip1317 which has links to
      two (IMO better) tab tips.