93791Re: time spent editing a file

    Jul 31, 2008
      On 31/07/08 00:48, Bill McCarthy wrote:
      [...]
      > The timer only shows the elapsed time since a buffer is
      > created or filled by a new file. I don't think Vim has a
      > autocmd event for leaving a buffer - just for switching
      > buffers. More specifically, it appears to be missing an
      > event for switching focus from Vim/Gvim.
      >
      > After I replaced Ben's use of a non-portable function with a
      > portable one, I looked at keeping track of time that a
      > buffer was actually in use. I couldn't find a way to deal
      > with the most common event of switching to another app.

      Have you tried the FocusGained / FocusLost events? ("Only in the GUI and
      a few console versions.")

      'Twas the Night before Crisis

      'Twas the night before crisis, and all through the house,
      Not a program was working not even a browse.
      The programmers were wrung out too mindless to care,
      Knowing chances of cutover hadn't a prayer.
      The users were nestled all snug in their beds,
      While visions of inquiries danced in their heads.
      When out in the lobby there arose such a clatter,
      I sprang from my tube to see what was the matter.
      And what to my wondering eyes should appear,
      But a Super Programmer, oblivious to fear.
      More rapid than eagles, his programs they came,
      And he whistled and shouted and called them by name;
      On Update! On Add! On Inquiry! On Delete!
      On Batch Jobs! On Closing! On Functions Complete!
      His eyes were glazed over, his fingers were lean,
      From Weekends and nights in front of a screen.
      A wink of his eye, and a twist of his head,
      Soon gave me to know I had nothing to dread...