91186Re: "ce" deletes two words if the current one is 1-letter long?

  • Benjamin Fritz
    Jun 3, 2008
      On 6/3/08, Fran├žois Ingelrest <athropos@...> wrote:
      > On Tue, Jun 3, 2008 at 5:51 PM, Benjamin Fritz <fritzophrenic@...> wrote:
      > > On 6/3/08, Fran├žois Ingelrest <athropos@...> wrote:
      > >> Hi all,
      > >>
      > >> I frequently use "ce" to replace the current word, so I go to the the
      > >> beginning of that word and type "ce". I've noticed that when the
      > >> current word is 1-letter long, the following word gets deleted too.
      > >> For instance, if I place the cursor on the 'a' of "an objective" and
      > >> type "ce", I replace only "an". If I do the same thing with "a
      > >> server", I replace both words.
      > >>
      > >> Is that really the intended behavior? Shouldn't "changing until the
      > >> end of the current word" stop at the current cursor position if that
      > >> current word is 1-letter long?
      > >
      > > The problem with this would be that 'e' needs to be able to move from
      > > word to word. If it stays in place when the cursor is on a 1-letter
      > > word, the cursor would be "stuck" on that word, unable to progress to
      > > the next with a subsequent keypress. Note, for changing a
      > > single-letter word, you can train yourself to use the "s" command
      > > instead, which is a synonym for "cl".
      > While I understand your argument about jumping through words, it seems
      > quite strange to me that I need to take care of whether the current
      > word has multiple letters or not. Of course I can get used to "s", but
      > it's just strange that I need to take care of that. Maybe I can remap
      > "ce" to use either "ce" or "s" based on the length of the current
      > word?

      Actually, an alternate idea that has proved infinitely more useful to me:

      Use text-objects. Instead of "ce" try using "ciw" which will work on
      words of all lengths and is (I have found) usually what I want to do

      See :help text-objects and :help iw