91158Re: (bug) delay of 1 second after a few commands before screen gets updated

  • Dominique Pelle
    Jun 2, 2008
      On Tue, Jun 3, 2008 at 3:55 AM, Tony Mechelynck
      <antoine.mechelynck@...> wrote:

      > On 02/06/08 23:51, Dominique Pelle wrote:
      >> Hi
      >>
      >> I've noticed that a couple of Vim commands have a lag (1 or 2 seconds?)
      >> before the screen gets updated. Here is a simple example:
      >>
      >> 1/ start vim in a terminal (not gvim)
      >>
      >> 1/ type a line of 50 i with:<esc>50ii<esc>
      >>
      >> 2/ notice when pressing the last<esc>, there is a delay
      >> of 1 to 2 seconds before the characters appear on the screen.
      >>
      >> Other observations
      >>
      >> - bug happens with Vim in a terminal (at least xterm and gnome-terminal)
      >> - bug does not happen with gvim.
      >> - bug does not happens with: 'vim -u NONE'
      >> - bug happens with 'vim --noplugin' and an empty ~/.vimrc
      >> but no longer happens when I delete the empty ~/.vimrc (which is
      >> very odd, what's the difference with an empty ~/.vimrc and no ~/.vimrc?)
      >>
      >> Can anybody else reproduce this bug too?
      >>
      >> I'm using Vim-7.1.305 (huge) on Linux x86.
      >>
      >> There are other commands which show the same delay of 1 or 2 seconds
      >> such as:
      >>
      >> - when changing till end of line with: c$foo<esc>
      >> - or when inserting something before visual blockwise:<ctrl-v>jjjIfoo<esc>
      >>
      >> -- Dominique
      >
      > VIM - Vi IMproved 7.1 (2007 May 12, compiled May 29 2008 23:03:50)
      > Included patches: 1-305
      > Modified by Bram Moolenaar (floating point)
      > Compiled by antoine.mechelynck@...
      > Huge version with GTK2-GNOME GUI. Features included (+) or not (-):
      > [...]
      >
      > I can reproduce it in konsole, but only in 'nocompatible' mode -- notice
      > that an empty vimrc still sets that:
      >
      > vim --noplugin -u /dev/null
      >
      > inserts the 50 i immediately ('compatible' is on when using the -u
      > command-line argument), but if I retry after ":set nocp" in the same
      > session there is a wait of about 1 second, or maybe slightly less,
      > before they appear.
      >
      > With
      >
      > c$foo<esc>
      >
      > I don't see any wait: Insert mode is entered when I hit the dollar sign,
      > "foo" is entered as I type it, <esc> goes back to Normal mode.
      >
      > With <block visual>Ifoo<esc> I do see it (I tried it with a somewhat
      > larger block, not just 3 lines by 1 column).
      >
      > IIUC Vim is waiting for possible multibyte keycodes starting with Esc,
      > its delay is 1 second for both mappings and keycodes, as can be seen by:
      >
      > :set timeout? ttimeout? timeoutlen? ttimeoutlen?
      > timeout
      > nottimeout
      > timeoutlen=1000
      > ttimeoutlen=-1
      >
      > Setting 'ttimeoutlen' to 100 (1/10 s rather than 1s) makes the "strange"
      > behaviour disappear, because then Vim waits only 0.1s for keycodes, a
      > time too short to be noticed.

      Thanks. With ":set timeoutlen=100" I no longer observe any noticable
      delay indeed. Good. ":help ttm" says:

      A useful setting would be:
      :set timeout timeoutlen=3000 ttimeoutlen=100

      I added that to my ~/.vimrc and it eliminates the noticeable delay in
      the test cases that I described.

      Thanks again
      -- Dominique