90853Re: syntax auto detect

    May 23, 2008
      On 23/05/08 23:46, zhengquan wrote:
      > Hello,
      > I saw the detection method in filetype.vim
      > It peeks the first line to see what it is, I wonder if there are
      > smarter and more automatic ways to detect the syntax and tell what the
      > filetype is.
      >
      > Thanks.
      > Zhengquan

      It all depends on the syntax, I think, and filetype.vim does quite a
      good job. For some types, like *.c, *.cpp, *.htm, *.html, *.vim, vimrc,
      fstab, etc., the mere name of the file, or even part of it, is enough to
      determine the filetype, and in those cases filetype.vim uses that. For
      other filetypes, that's not enough: for example, Unix shell scripts can
      have any name, so something else must be used to define them. Checking
      them for "executable" permissions wouldn't work, since on Unix, binary
      executables also have those permissions and can also have any name
      (unlike on Windows, where *.bat and sometimes *.btm are shell scripts,
      while *.exe and sometimes *.dll, *.com, etc., are binary executables).
      Happily Unix shell scripts usually have #! followed by the shell name in
      their first line, so that's a good criterion for that filetype.

      We must remember the First Amendment which protects any shrill jackass
      no matter how self-seeking.
      -- F. G. Withington