90044Re: vim + xterm + gnu/screen question

  • Sadarax
    May 1, 2008
      I have been using Vim in Screen for years now. I never used the -X option, and here is what I found. For the screen session I started, If my x-session died, then my Vim would take about 2 minutes lag before it would start from within screen. Otherwise I have never had any problem with Vim inside of screen. If I started the screen session from outside of an X-session, then my vim was unaffected.

      On Thu, May 1, 2008 at 7:15 AM, jorges <jorgesmbox-ml@...> wrote:

      On May 1, 9:29 am, Tony Mechelynck <antoine.mechely...@...>
      > On 01/05/08 10:32, A.Politz wrote:
      > [...]> I think you are talking about 2 different things.
      > > 1. Let vim survive a X shutdown.
      > > 2. Let vim die gracefully, when X shuts down.
      > [...]
      > Gvim will of course never survive an X server shutdown, but have you
      > tried compiling with Gnome2? (i.e., --enable-gui=gtk2
      > --enable-gnome-check). I have, and when closing down X from either the
      > Gnome or the KDE winmanager (I use KDE) gvim saves its session
      > transparently, and reloads it automagically at next X startup (see :help
      > gnome-session).
      > I know Bram has misgivings about the Gnome GUI but I've never
      > experienced any Gnome2-specific problems in gvim.
      > Best regards,
      > Tony.
      > --
      > BRIDGEKEEPER: What is the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow?
      > ARTHUR:       What do you mean?  An African or European swallow?
      > BRIDGEKEEPER: Er ...  I don't know that ... Aaaaarrrrrrggghhh!
      >     BRIDGEKEEPER is cast into the gorge.
      >                   "Monty Python and the Holy Grail" PYTHON (MONTY)

      I actually use console vim inside an xterm terminal. That's why I
      thought my sessions should survive. The weird thing is that following
      advice from this thread I tried starting vim with -X option in an
      xterm inside screen and, for comparison, another vim session started
      normally. I logged out of my DE and re-attached the screen session in
      the linux console. Surprise, both sessions were alive. Now I don't
      understand anything, this happened not once, but many times in the
      past. So, who knows what was the real cause of my sessions dying...

      How sad it would be to live a life less wonderful, if only because one were afraid of a little hard work. If you shy away from challenges, you shy away from some of the greatest achievements in life.