88891Re: Way to persist custom window-specific info with :mksession?

  • dagfinn
    Apr 2, 2008
      On Apr 2, 2:56 am, Charles Campbell <drc...@...> wrote:
      > Dagfinn Reiersøl wrote:
      > > Charles E Campbell Jr wrote:
      >
      > >> Look into viminfo's "!" option -- with it, variables that start with an
      > >> upper case character and don't contain a lower case character are
      > >> retained (:help 'viminfo'). You could save quite a bit that way, I'd
      > >> assume. For example, DAG_RUBY_GONEIT could be used... :)
      >
      > > Thanks, that could be helpful for doing part of what I need to do, but
      > > as I read the documentation, it doesn't solve the essence of my issue.
      > > Global variables are not specific to a window; I would need to save
      > > window-local variables to do what I'm trying to do in a reasonably clean
      > > way.
      >
      > Make a List; each element of the List holds a List of window-based
      > variables. Save the whole thing into a DAG_RUBY (global) variable.
      > The viminfo '!' option will then save it into .viminfo for you.
      > Restoration to window variables seems straightforward to me (windo).

      I know I can save global variables. It seems I can achieve the same
      thing by having sessionoptions contain 'globals'.

      I can see that I'm having a hard time explaining what I'm really
      after. The problem is re-connecting the information I've saved to the
      right windows. The function posted by A.Politz uses winnr() to achieve
      this (if I've understood it correctly). I've found that approach
      insufficiently reliable. I would like each window to be marked with an
      ID that will stay constant even when windows are opened and closed.
      And I would like that to be saved when :mksession is run. As I
      mentioned, it can be done with an option, but not without interfering
      with something else in Vim.