86237Re: vim7 chokes on simple text file

    Jan 5, 2008
      Daniel Fetchinson wrote:
      > Hi vimers,
      >
      > I've upgraded to vim 7 recently and to my biggest surprise I've
      > noticed that this most recent version of vim chokes on a simple text
      > file (it's javascript source for the ext.js javascript library):
      > http://extjs.com/deploy/dev/adapter/ext/ext-base.js
      >
      > The file is small the only peculiarity is that it has 2 very long
      > lines. I always liked vim because it was the most robust editor out
      > there but I'm not really sure why this simple text file is giving it
      > such a hard time. I renamed it to something else so the javascript
      > syntax highlighting doesn't kick in and still CPU usage shoots up to
      > 100% when I'm moving around the file.
      >
      > Unfortunately I don't have the earlier version of vim anymore but I
      > don't think I've seen anything like this with those earlier very
      > stable releases. Anyone could check it out so we know if it's version
      > 7 specific or something else?
      >
      > Cheers,
      > Daniel

      Works for me (even with js syntax highlighting) on Linux with gvim 7.1.203 for
      GTK2/Gnome. Moving around (e.g. using j k <End> etc.) gives me no problem. I
      didn't try making changes in the long lines.

      - You say "vim chokes". What are the exact symptoms you got?
      - Does it or doesn't it work with

      gvim -N -u NORC

      and/or with something similar to

      gvim -u "C:\Program Files\vim\vim71\vimrc_example.vim"
      gvim -u /usr/local/share/vim/vim71/vimrc_example.vim

      etc. (depending on where the Vim 7 runtime files are on your system)?

      If it works with one of the above, the problem is probably with your vimrc.

      I notice that the last two lines (several thousand characters long) end in LF
      only while the rest ("short" lines) end in CR+LF. Is that intentional? I can
      cure it (on my gvim which reads the file with no problem) using

      :set ffs=
      :e ++ff=dos ext-base.js
      :w ++ff=unix
      " or just :w if you want CR+LF all over
      :q

      A classic is something that everybody wants to have read and nobody
      wants to read.
      -- Mark Twain