81343Re: pasted ' and " turning to ¿

    Aug 1, 2007
      ben lieb wrote:
      > fREW wrote:
      >>> office to stop this, but to no avail. What can I do?
      >>>

      >> I had a similar issue in a class that I took where the teacher
      >> distributed the notes as word files and they had funny characters in
      >> them. Basically what I did was paste the doc into the terminal with:
      >>
      >> cat > newfile
      >>
      >> And then I used a suggestion on the list that will highlight weird
      >> characters like curly " and ' and I use the same pattern in a search
      >> and replace the characters with whatever makes sense.
      >>
      >> It's not automated, but it saves time and makes the files regular
      >> ascii and smaller in ram and disk than the word file.
      >>

      > I don't think this is a plain text issue, since the curvy quotes still
      > show up in the plain text, and also show up as ¿ when pasted into vim.
      > Maybe window's plain text is slightly different from linux?

      It's not plain text, it's Word format, which has interspersed control
      characters. I think that that is one of them. I can read Word files on Linux
      with oowriter and on Windows with WordPad, but not with Vim on either platform.

      > There is an option while saving from .doc to .txt 'allow character
      > substitution'. This actually converts from curvy to straight quotes.
      > There is also an option in word that makes word use straight quotes, but
      > this doesn't convert curvy quotes in other's documents.
      >
      > And, yes I'm on windows (can't find a replacement for photoshop, or flash).

      Well, I used to be, but now I've graduated to Linux :-).

      An Englishman never enjoys himself, except for a noble purpose.
      -- A. P. Herbert