81336Re: pasted ' and " turning to ¿

  • fREW
    Aug 1, 2007
      > office to stop this, but to no avail. What can I do?

      I had a similar issue in a class that I took where the teacher
      distributed the notes as word files and they had funny characters in
      them. Basically what I did was paste the doc into the terminal with:

      cat > newfile

      And then I used a suggestion on the list that will highlight weird
      characters like curly " and ' and I use the same pattern in a search
      and replace the characters with whatever makes sense.

      It's not automated, but it saves time and makes the files regular
      ascii and smaller in ram and disk than the word file.

      --
      -fREW

      Q: Why is this email 5 sentences or less?
      A: http://five.sentenc.es